Gas prices

wstuckey1

Apr 11, 2018
Fenton MI
I've been seeing just over $2/gal. My buddy told me he filled up yesterday for $1.95/gal.

Reactions: Redbeard

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I never thought I would see prices like this again in my lifetime!

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200313_151338.jpg
    MVIMG_20200313_151338.jpg
    443.4 KB · Views: 20

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
$1.83 yesterday.

Reactions: Eric04

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Damn it! Prices just dropped even more to $0.767/L at local stations while Costco is at $0.779? Is $0.70 next?

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
I never thought I would see prices like this again in my lifetime!
I remember reading that all the "easy oil" had been found and extracted and that gasoline would run out in my lifetime...well they better hurry up and run out because I can't wait around forever..:faint:

• Haha

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
Well I just passed a station showing $1.979 per gallon which works out to about 52.4 cents per liter, if this makes you feel any better. lol. :smile:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Converted to Canadian pesos is $0.724CAD/L. Close to our prices really.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
1.89 when I gassed up yesterday

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Costco is at $0.739/L reg and $0.929/L prem. today. I wish I could hoard gas but with ethanol, it goes bad fast and it's still winter gas right now.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
If you have containers, get some StaBil and hoard to your heart's delite. There's one they make called '360 Performance' - 30ml treats 5 US gal. I use it for my Champion generator (most brands instruct you to either use fuel stabilizer or avoid ethanol altogether.

But - it's going lower, if you're willing to wait. These prices are going to be with us for awhile; the US is about to put their entire economy and workforce / populace on lockdown (like Italy), which is only going to depress gasoline demand further. In fact, one of the advisements in today's update from the national 'task force' was "avoid discretionary travel". If one isn't going to seek medical care or get food, they basically don't want us on the road at all, right now. And that might last (at least in spurts, if not continuously) until July-August (again, per their update, today)

Reactions: Eric04 and Mooseman

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Well in the land of oil and gas, its still 96.9 cents a litre out here. In some of the cities its a bit less. Not sure what diesel is yet as I haven't needed to fuel up.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Gassed up the TB last night at 73.9/L. Premium was at 91.9/L.

You think this guy was hoarding? 🤣

Attachments

• IMG_20200316_195105.jpg
    IMG_20200316_195105.jpg
    449.8 KB · Views: 12

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I only have one 5 gal gas can for mowers. And go figure I filled it when gas was 1.97 a gal and I just saw it for 1.77 a gal. Whatev.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
This why Planet Earth keeps coming up with novel viruses to rid it's self of those pesky Humans..:biggrin:

• Haha
Reactions: Mooseman

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Well, if people in Asian countries would leave pangolins alone (basically, an armored anteater), this one wouldn't have manifested itself (this virus shares 99% RNA with one that affects them). They're threatened, basically due to humans. "Revenge of the Pangolins" ? :yikes:

As for gas in my neck of the world... our traditional low price station (a nearby new grocery that prices it as a loss leader) is down to $1.89/gal; two stations near it are down to $1.99 (one being a Shell, where I often get gas). Big chunk around $2.07; most expensive is $2.35. (all pricing via gas buddy app, filtered by chains / brands where I'm willing to go) Those prices have been stable for past 2 days.

Drec

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jan 29, 2018
Yakima, Washington
I filled up in Cle Elum Washington yesterday for $1.699 per gallon. Then I drove down the hill a half mile away and the price was $1.659 per gallon. This was on the return leg of a moving trip. On the first leg, the cheap gas was $2.429 per gallon. The gas in the Seattle area is still about $3 per gallon.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
This morning, Costco is at 67.9¢/L reg and 82.9¢/L Prem. :eek: Others are in the 70-71¢ range. All this cheap gas and nowhere go to. :cry:

• Sad
Reactions: xavierny25

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I dug the Envoy out last night, as I needed real 4wd, and not just AWD.

Got the tank down to near empty as I dare with the truck having sat the last 3 months, and filled her up with E-0 gasoline. 2.30 a gallon. E-15 was 1.89.

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
$ 1.24 gal. on the reservation today, didn't need any so we just continued on our ride...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
65.4¢/L today via GasBuddy. How low can it go?

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Man!... if you were ever thinking of a fire breathing gas hog ride, this would be the time get one...:undecided:

Last edited:

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
Adjusted for inflation the current price of oil is near what it was in 1972:woohoo:
Can you imagine the load of bull we've been fed over the years to get us to pay near double??

Reactions: Mooseman

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
About a buck fifty ish around here. Only used some gas on Friday because my wife needed to go to an appt (better now than later if this bug gets more widespread). Other than that, gas gauges are not moving. And the gas we have is about 45 cents more a gallon because I filled it when fuel dropped just below $2 a little over a week ago. Go figure. Oh well.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, our peso has been tanking. The world usually flocks to the US $ during times of uncertainty at the expense of other currencies unless the US economy itself goes totally to shit, which is what happened in 08-09 when the Canadian $ was above the US $ for a while. I miss those days.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just watched this video which explains what is going on with the oil industry (it just randomly popped up as a suggested video). Although it's great for us consumers, it's not so great for the oil sector.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Makes me glad I have gone thru heaven and hell to make sure that the only debt over my head is my house. Everything else is paid for. And I owe so little on my house, my payments are low (1/4 the cost of local property rents).

I dont know if it will actually get to "Ghost Towns", but anything is possible. It has literally been since the "Great Depression" since we have seen anything like this. And the freaky part, at least for me, is we are literally one step away from Anarchy.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
(source:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...il-cut-as-virus-destroys-demand-idUSKBN21L15A
)

FYI - if you're low on gas, you might want to top up before Monday.

OPEC+ (basically OPEC plus Russia) came up with a plan to cut production by 10% yesterday. They didn't do it by themselves; in order to cut that much, non-state controlled nations (like the US, the world's largest producer) had to sign off on the deal. Word is, the US helped broker it (b/c KSA and RUS were the cause of the current glut). Oil company reps were reportedly at the WH today, meeting with the president. Officially, the US is denying they had a hand in the deal.

Long-term, I think the price still goes down (places that hold excess capacity are filling up, and we are, frankly, months away from global economic restart ramping up demand -- and perhaps longer than that). However, futures prices of West Texas Intermediate (WTI) have jumped back up from $20/bbl at the start of this p!ssing contest between KSA and RUS, to $29/bbl now.

TL; DR -- long term, I think it falls (much) further; short-term (next 2-3 weeks), I'd fill up, unless you're sheltering in place for a while and not especially low. JMHO.

As far as 'how much' of an increase - maybe 0.50/gal USD to start (again, just a WAG on my part). As always... "Up like a rocket, down like a feather"

Last edited:
Reactions: Matt and Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Prices around here are hovering between 61¢ and 68¢/litre with Costco at 61.9¢. One nice thing here is that a few stations (Ultramar, Pioneer, Chevron) are giving all first responders and other front line workers $10 off a tankful of fuel. That's nice!

Reactions: Matt

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
We are floating around 74 cents a litre here. The bigger cities are less. We always get hosed in prices. Not sure what diesel is but my brother in prince George said diesel was around 94 cents a litre.

You know it's bad when places in bc have lower prices than the prairies.

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Filled up on the Res. at $1.17 US gal. I'm thinking that it will be below $1.00 next week. We've been going through full service and tipping the attendant....something that we never would have done before...:2thumbsup:

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Even NJ finally got rid of mandatory full-serve. Outside of there, and one other state (not yours), I can't remember the last time an attendant was even available to pump gas (outside of maybe a 'summon' button at the pump for disabled folks). Around here, they're surgically attached to the register; occasionally, they're let off the leash to make a pot of coffee or what not.

Here in IL, I've got the 'low cost leader' (which I never go to) at $1.84; most in the 1.95 area, and the 'high roller' at 2.05, for about the last week and a half.

For us, that's considered cheap (IL taxes the hell out of their gas, and it's now a percentage tax, not a flat one). Chicago proper is even more expensive, 'cos there's a city tax added in... city / county / state / Fed taxes, all on one gallon of gas. Glad I don't live in the Chi any more.

That reminds me... I need to get off the laptop, get dressed and go fill up the Voy... LOL

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Full service is pretty much a Reservation phenomena since their real cash crop is Smokes. So they go all out with service.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Reprise and BrianF

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Gas was $1.30 at Kroger this weekend, but I had a dollar off and the truck was near empty, so....

20200405_151051.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Mounce

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
$1.07 on the Res. today.

Reactions: BrianF

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members