Gas gauge sending unit

retiredcopper

Original poster
Nov 16, 2013
09 TB I6...When it rains, it pours...Gas gauge decided to take a dive while on the highway the other day...got the dreaded P0463 code...After seeing how much work is involved,I figure it's best to just change the entire unit...prices vary from $50 to as much as $250...already know to stay away from Delphi..any other brands that have worked for someone? ...Thanks!

Jul 24, 2012
Honestly I took whatever was in stock at Napa.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
ACDelco or Bosch are sure things.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Nope unless it's the wrong part. In fact, Bosch is the supplier for ACDelco. The Bosch sticker is on the ACDelco pump.

Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
I put the cheapest that RockAuto had in stock in both of mine with years of troublefree service post-install (and counting).

One thing that I didn't do, that I wish I had was adjust the float arm so that "full" is full and "empty" is empty. So my current brick's gas gauge reads "full" for a very long time after filling up, and it shouldn't. My "low fuel" warning goes off way too late as a result. I don't know if every brand's sender has the same quirk of adjusting the float arm.

retiredcopper

Original poster
Nov 16, 2013
I put the cheapest that RockAuto had in stock in both of mine with years of troublefree service post-install (and counting).

One thing that I didn't do, that I wish I had was adjust the float arm so that "full" is full and "empty" is empty. So my current brick's gas gauge reads "full" for a very long time after filling up, and it shouldn't. My "low fuel" warning goes off way too late as a result. I don't know if every brand's sender has the same quirk of adjusting the float arm.
My first time attempting this...Thanks for the input and the heads up on the float

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

Haven't heard of this. It's possible that being a cheap pump it doesn't follow the specs exactly or the arm got bent during packaging. definitely something to check against the old pump.

Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
Haven't heard of this. It's possible that being a cheap pump it doesn't follow the specs exactly or the arm got bent during packaging. definitely something to check against the old pump.
The two that I installed ( I had 2 Bravadas at the time) were the same brand and both boxes included instructions on how to adjust the float.... I just didn't. One of them was perfect from the first fill-up - years later we traded that Bravada in on another vehicle. The Bravada I still have was wrong from the first fill-up and remains so today. Well, I say "wrong".... it just takes forever to move off of full. It actually reads OVER full at fill up. When it finally starts moving after 50 or so miles, it goes down pretty fast. I suspect the float arm is juuuuust out of spec for the bend. I've gotten used to it.

The other regret I have is not replacing the locking ring. I think my pump came with a new gasket, but not a locking ring. If I let the pump stop the fill-up, I leak gas for a little while - long enough that I'll park outside overnight or drive around for a while before pulling the car into the garage. I don't think I have it in me to drop the tank again.... twice was enough for me.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.