SOLVED! G80 Differential "C" clip removal

mrwitty_1

Original poster
Jan 28, 2014
First time I have ever been in a locking differential and don't really understand the service manual. It states not to completely remove the pin from the spider gears but to rotate until the pin stops against the carrier. This leaves the opening to remove the clips in the rear, a few videos show the pin being completely removed then rotated for clip removal. From the picture in the service manual the only thing I can think of is the retaining bolt is removed, pin held in place and rotate the differential then push the pin upward and continue to rotate until the pin stops against the top of the carrier. I have always removed the pin form non locking but wasn't sure what might fall out if not done as described. Thanks in advance.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Once you have aligned the access point to unbolt the Locking Pin (I recommend replacing it with a Brand New One that comes already daubed with Factory OEM Loc-Tite) ...Try not to Rotate the Axle if possible... Just push the wheel slightly inwards from the outside. If the Spider Gears/Concave Washers come loose... they can very suddenly tumble down and will try very hard to Knock Out your Front Teeth... Ask me how I know...

Last edited:

mrwitty_1

Original poster
Jan 28, 2014
For anyone that reads the service manual disregard the section stating the pin must stay in. Even if very slightly in it will stop the axles from sliding in the "C" block enough to remove the clip.
Thanks for the replies.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I have a few times but not on these trucks. One I was able to spin one out with a small screwdriver, another with a small magnet retrieval tool and lastly, one that wouldn't budge and I had to grind out the end of the pin. The problem is that part of the thread always breaks inside and you have to unscrew it out.

m.mcmillen

Apr 29, 2016
Wisconsin
If you heat up the housing where the bolt threads in, the loctite will soften up and let the bolt come out easier. With all of the oil in there, I would recommend using a heat gun to reduce the risk of fire.

Reactions: Capote

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online