G80 and open interchangable axle parts?

jsomething

Original poster
May 13, 2013
I picked up a g80 the other day.
8.6 3.73 i have the same 8.6 3.73 in an open axle.
Problem is the g80 is in rotten shape. Went all through it over the weekend. Nothing is usable except the housing and gears. The hubs are rotted out. The drive shaft yoke. Ebrake assemblies seals bearings etc. Paid 400 for it and definately feel i overpaid.
Question is. Is all that extra stuff swapable from my open axle?
If it is i might just ask for a partial refund.
Thanks in advance!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
The only difference is in the G80 locker guts. All other parts should be swappable. You could have bought just the G80 guts for that price or less.

jsomething

Original poster
May 13, 2013
Thanks roadie. Im gonna take the whole thing back. This will be the yards third try at getting me a g80... if this doesnt work out ill probably do that. Or buy a locker..

glfredrick

Jan 14, 2014
The_Roadie said:
The only difference is in the G80 locker guts. All other parts should be swappable. You could have bought just the G80 guts for that price or less.
Yup ^^^^ Also, realize that the G80 locker is not a super-tough piece. It is intended to engage at very low vehicle speeds and disengage before damage to the drivetrain can occur. Doing burnouts or trying to engage while spinning, etc., will make it go BOOM.

A true locker that operates all the time at all speeds may be a better deal in the long run.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
glfredrick said:
Yup ^^^^ Also, realize that the G80 locker is not a super-tough piece. It is intended to engage at very low vehicle speeds and disengage before damage to the drivetrain can occur. Doing burnouts or trying to engage while spinning, etc., will make it go BOOM.

A true locker that operates all the time at all speeds may be a better deal in the long run.
It can't be said it's not a true locker. After all, it does indeed lock. It's just not the one of choice for particular scenarios, but if driven with an understanding of its quirks it can be used just fine.

Perhaps what you're looking for is an electric locker, where you can control the lock rather than just trusting any automatic system.

jsomething

Original poster
May 13, 2013
The trucks my daily driver. Ive heard not so good things about aftermarket lockers without going with something on the more pricey side. Picking up a g80 seems like the cheapest route for something that should be able to handle all my daily and modest offroad use.
Also didnt want to get into shimming the gear set just yet. Figured id learn all that in a year or two when i put a locker in the front.

glfredrick

Jan 14, 2014
jsomething said:
The trucks my daily driver. Ive heard not so good things about aftermarket lockers without going with something on the more pricey side. Picking up a g80 seems like the cheapest route for something that should be able to handle all my daily and modest offroad use.
Also didnt want to get into shimming the gear set just yet. Figured id learn all that in a year or two when i put a locker in the front.
It is not as difficult to set up a gearset as most people think. Mostly time consuming, as it is often a trial and error procedure, especially if one does not have access to thousands of dollars worth of specialty measuring devices that almost dial in the measurements before starting the process. I've built many and my sons more than me.

One starts with the shim package (or the same measurements with new shims) as was installed in the original gear set then try out the pattern. It may pattern correctly right away becasue the housing dimensions are often more crtical than the carrier dimensions (they being closer to spec). It mainly takes just a few tools, micrometer, torque wrench that is capable of both final torque for bolts and also indicating torque for rotational force (a dial type works well), normal hand tools to deal with the bolts, a spare set of side bearings, which one reams out with a sandpaper roll so they easily slip over the sides of the carrier to allow test fitting before final press of the bearings, at least a 12-ton shop press, and some means of getting the original pressed on bearings off, a bearing plate, etc., plus a magnetic base dial indicator.

Here are a couple of helpful links:

http://www.differentials.com/technical-help/installation-instructions

http://www.ringpinion.com/technicalhelp/TechHelp.aspx\

http://www.ringpinion.com/Content/HowTo/TechnicalInstructions/Yukon_Installation_Kit_Instructions.pdf

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online