FYI - Fel-Pro gaskets - orientation

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Figured I'd post this here, because someone as anal as I am will ask about this, eventually...

I replaced the oil cooler gasket in my Sierra 6.0L today. Fel-Pro # is 72462. It's the one with the dual 'portholes' (the one with the large oval opening is for engines with *no* cooler, using a block-off plate).

Anyway...the old one came off, and it was perfectly flat on both sides.
However - the Fel-Pro gasket had a convex / concave arrangement.

??? Does it make a difference which side to orient where ???

According to Fel-Pro, unless they specifically label the gasket, or it's asymmetrical (for example: coolant bypass outlet on a t-stat gasket) - 'no - it does not matter'. This concerns all of their gaskets, not just this one.

I could find no other info elsewhere concerning this (well, I did find some info on a google patent archive, although it did not suggest which orientation would be correct.)

Since the gasket seals bidirectional passages, logic said to me (?) that I was just as likely to 'pick right' if I were to flip a coin. That being said, I'll record here that I oriented the convex side toward the cooler, and the concave side toward the block. If it leaks afterward, I'll repeat the exercise, in reverse (and I'll try to remember to come back here and notate that it failed.)

The cooler looks to be aluminum; the LQ4 is an iron block. Any expansion is going to be on the cooler side. I suppose that's as good a reason as any for the orientation I chose.

I'll make a separate thread concerning the actual install of the oil cooler gasket, and keep this 'on point', relative to the title.

Reactions: Redbeard

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Update on this issue...

I had to remove the gasket, because I tightened the bolts to the wrong spec, and snapped them off (106 in/lb or 9 ft/lb... I mistakenly tried to tighten to 18 ft/lb, which is the torque for the bracket bolt that holds the lines to the engine block. Just 'FYI')

Anyway...when I removed this particular gasket, I saw that it had crushed to 'flat'. Not sure if half the applied torque would have also crushed it flat - while I could test the new gasket and see, I may not use this particular Fel-Pro gasket, when I put the new one in.

With all of that said - it should not matter at all, if the gasket is otherwise symmetrical, etc., as described in the prior post. Install either side facing, as you like.

The OEM-style gaskets begin 'flat', by default.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online

No members online now.