fuse for rear view mirror?

Envoy10

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Is there a fuse for the compass on my R-V-M? I need to change an led out of there but last time I did I lost my compass for a few weeks til one day it suddenly turned on again.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Envoy10 said:
Is there a fuse for the compass on my R-V-M? I need to change an led out of there but last time I did I lost my compass for a few weeks til one day it suddenly turned on again.

The compass is internal to the mirror. All it does is draw power from the overhead console to light up the display. Same as the OnStar controls and/or temp display if your mirror had it. So in short, no fuse. So what color LEDs you putting in there? :undecided:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Underhood fuse #22. Powers many, many other circuits, not just the mirror. You might find it easier to just pull the connector apart inside the overhead console. As Blckshdw says, no separate, dedicated mirror fuse.

Envoy10

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Blckshdw said:
The compass is internal to the mirror. All it does is draw power from the overhead console to light up the display. Same as the OnStar controls and/or temp display if your mirror had it. So in short, no fuse. So what color LEDs you putting in there? :undecided:

Well I already have blue LEDs in there from the initial swap. Now I'm just replacing one and changing the compass display to match. I just hate every time i unplug the harness Idk if I'm gonna see my compass or any of the other power options the RVM has when I plug it back in (I don't use OnStar any of the other buttons) Kinda defeats the purpose to spend time modding it for appearance n when your done they done even turn on.

I'll check into fuse 22, gotta see what else I'm affecting 1st. Maybe unplug the battery, risk an actuator idk

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:eek: You figured out a way to swap out the compass display? And you'll be posting a write up on this correct? :book:

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Envoy10 said:
Maybe unplug the battery, risk an actuator idk

It helps to make sure everything is turned OFF, before disconnecting the battery.

Envoy10

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Blckshdw said:
:eek: You figured out a way to swap out the compass display? And you'll be posting a write up on this correct? :book:
Compass display, digital hvac, DIC, you gotta swap leds like the rest of the interior, but that involves desoldering to get to the led. I don't think most ppl feel comfortable desoldering a smd though. I use a couple layers of blue transparent vinyl to cover the green display, it's a pretty close match.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Envoy10 said:
Compass display, digital hvac, DIC, you gotta swap leds like the rest of the interior, but that involves desoldering to get to the led. I don't think most ppl feel comfortable desoldering a smd though. I use a couple layers of blue transparent vinyl to cover the green display, it's a pretty close match.

I have a new mod at the top of my list. :thankyou: for that :tiphat:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online