Full interior swap from '06 Envoy to '04 Rainier.

Karl Gant

Original poster
Nov 7, 2016
Tempe, AZ
Hello everyone....

I have a dismantle /swap question. Will the full interior--from the dash/steering wheel rearward--from an '06 SWB Envoy swap into an '04 Rainier? I'm talking seats, carpet, interior pillar plastics, panels, etc. The Envoy has "mechanical issues", but a great interior, and the Rainier runs good, but has a trashed interior. I did try searching the forum about interior parts interchange, and didn't quite get a precise answer. Thanks!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I think the only thing that may cause issues is the center console. I don't know what the Rainier's is like but from my experience with the bastard child Saab 9-7x, this one has a totally different console compared to the TB and the two would definitely not work together either way because of the way the dash transitions to the console. You might have to keep the Rainier console. That supposes you don't replace the dash. If you do swap the dash, my only concern would be any differences in the air bags that might cause the Rainier's airbag module to not like the Envoy bags if there were changes from 04 to 06.

Otherwise, I can't see any of the other parts causing issues. If also replacing the steering column, you might have to get the BCM to relearn the Passlock sensor in the ignition lock, which would require a Tech 2.

So what will you call it? A Rainoy? An Envoyier? You should keep the Rainier cluster though. White face is nicer and will keep original mileage.

Reactions: Matt

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Another thought. If you are replacing the dash, the supporting frame may be different. I know there is a difference between TB's and Envoys where the latter needs a part of the frame to be cut out to replace the passenger side HVAC actuator whereas TB's do not need it cut. I don't know if this frame piece is removable.

Reactions: Matt

Karl Gant

Original poster
Nov 7, 2016
Tempe, AZ
I think the only thing that may cause issues is the center console. I don't know what the Rainier's is like but from my experience with the bastard child Saab 9-7x, this one has a totally different console compared to the TB and the two would definitely not work together either way because of the way the dash transitions to the console. You might have to keep the Rainier console. That supposes you don't replace the dash. If you do swap the dash, my only concern would be any differences in the air bags that might cause the Rainier's airbag module to not like the Envoy bags if there were changes from 04 to 06.

Otherwise, I can't see any of the other parts causing issues. If also replacing the steering column, you might have to get the BCM to relearn the Passlock sensor in the ignition lock, which would require a Tech 2.

So what will you call it? A Rainoy? An Envoyier? You should keep the Rainier cluster though. White face is nicer and will keep original mileage.
Thanks for the input, Mooseman.

I think that console is the same as my Ascender and Envoy XL. I'm not messing with anything dash related....just the dumb items.

You don't know the half of it: I'm seriously considering swapping out the front body pieces, b/c the hood/fenders/front bumper cover on the Envoy are in good shape AND the same color as the Rainier. I know I'll have to swap the various under hood brackets, too, but the Envoy's complete, so I'm going to entertain the idea, at least. Just like Johnny Cash's Caddy he sang about!

Reactions: Mooseman and Matt

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You better check the two bodies because the Envoy has square'ish wheel wells and the Rainier's are round. Body lines may not match neither. Seen this before with a 9-7x with a TB front end. Looked goofy but was probably born out of necessity due to lack of body parts for the Saab.

Karl Gant

Original poster
Nov 7, 2016
Tempe, AZ
You better check the two bodies because the Envoy has square'ish wheel wells and the Rainier's are round. Body lines may not match neither. Seen this before with a 9-7x with a TB front end. Looked goofy but was probably born out of necessity due to lack of body parts for the Saab.

I read a few posts here about the front body pieces swap as I was searching for the interior info...seems like the Rainier is the 2nd-to-last favorite stepchild ahead of the Saab. I actually like the Saab styling best out of all of them. I don't have a lot of car people types in my local circles, so if I can pull it off, they'll prolly look at the final product and think, "Something's off there, but I can't put my finger on it." This Combo rig will be the "extra"/non 3rd row car for the family fleet(my oldest kid will be driving in a few months, so it'll be a perfect starter vehicle in that regard).

Separately, I see you have a Cappy PPV. I envy you on that one: a beast of a machine right out of the box! I have a ' 94 Caprice Wagon--my old DD--I gotta move on. COMPLETELY different animal than your Caprice, to be sure(x 10 times). Too bad about Holden👎👎👎.

Thanks.

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timmerk

Members Online