Fuel Treatment?

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
I am almost at 50k and i think its time to dumb some treatment in the tank, After i fill up at chevron i want to stop at Oriely's Auto parts which is the way to go? I am guessing Lucas: http://www.lucasoil.com/products/di...=8&loc=show&headTitle= - Lucas Fuel Treatment ? I dont have the time to run Sea Foam in everywhere and would rather not since i all ready cleaned the Throttle body inside and out. If Sea foam is the best for the Gas tank ...let me know .... soon.

Thanks, 73

MacMan

Mar 3, 2012
Best fuel injector/system cleaner to put in the tank is Chevron w/ Techron. I have been putting a bottle in my TB (about every 3-4 months) since new, and have 192K on it....have never had to have injectors cleaned or replaced, and it runs & idles like new.

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
MacMan said:
Best fuel injector/system cleaner to put in the tank is Chevron w/ Techron. I have been putting a bottle in my TB (about every 3-4 months) since new, and have 192K on it....have never had to have injectors cleaned or replaced, and it runs & idles like new.

Awesome. Thats what I juat bought for $7.00 got 12 gal of gas than popped in the cleaner. Once i get my new aem filter maybe ill see a better performance and mpg. My filter was red but now black and bent up so its probably starving my engine for air. And I hate using cleaners on air filters and oiling them !!!!

jemmie

Jan 7, 2012
I used to get P0300 and P0304 codes and it idled rough. I changed plugs and still got them.

After some advice from people on here (and the old site), I put in some Techron and it fixed the codes and rough idling. No exaggeration. No, I don't work for Chevron or own Chevron stock. It's the only additive that I have ever used that has demonstrable before/after causal effect. (I'm an ASQ Certified Six Sigma Black Belt so I'm pretty anal about causality, placebo effect, etc.)

Now, it's not the end all. I also tried it for my fuel gauge sending unit problem because some claimed it fixed their problem and it didn't do squat for me.

strat81

Dec 29, 2011
From what I've read on BobIsTheOilGuy.com, the only three products that contain Polyether Amines (PEA), which is one of the few substances that work for cleaning a fuel system are: Techron (original, not Pro-Gard), BG44K, and Redline SI-1. By far, Techron is the easiest to find.

Of course, as laws and regulations change, formulas may change, so buyer beware.

A lot of the other treatments are mixtures containing a lot of alcohol or kerosene, or both. Alcohol has its place in dealing with fuel system problems (see HEET and ISO-HEET).

If you want a fuel stabilizer, Sta-Bil Marine and SeaFoam are good choices. SeaFoam seems to help minimize carb gumming in small 2-stroke engines.

MacMan

Mar 3, 2012

jemmie

Jan 7, 2012
Right. I am usually skeptical of testifying for the effectiveness of these additives - I may use some but when someone asks if they work I respond, "Not sure" - but Techron is the only exception.

Again, it doesn't solve all problems. It's not like Robitussin in Chris Rock's hilarious routine. But it may be the best <$10 potential fix for some engine / code issues. Sometimes Autozone has buy 1 get 1 free sales and I load up.

MacMan

Mar 3, 2012
jemmie said:
....I am usually skeptical of testifying for the effectiveness of these additives ......but Techron is the only exception.
Sometimes Autozone has buy 1 get 1 free sales and I load up.

Agreed.

And I do the same.....load-up on the "buy 1-get 1 free" sales.

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
I have no clue what "techron" is or does. Except when ibrun chevron gas in my vehicle it runs smoother, more pep, slight increase in mpg. I did my own test after years of buying dirka gas from cheap stations I wasnt saving that much money...and my vehicles didnt always run right until I did the swap. Also the techron fuel additive helped I dnt have that boggy feel when the engine gets a big gulp from my lead foot. Today the aem prodry filter arrives to replace my old crappy k&n so will soon know.

jbones

Dec 5, 2011
I've used the Lucus and the Chevron and would say I got best results off the Chevron. But the real MPG increase came when I changed that dirty ole oil.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Humour with Regain OS supposed to have the same ingredient as Techeon. I used it on the Envoy and it smoothed out some roughness. Probably due for another shot.

benz01

Jun 2, 2012
Kansas
For the guys that use Chevron additive and have the 22 gal tank, do you use 2 full bottles, 1.5, or just 1? One bottle treats 15 gal so I was wondering if you just add 15 gal or if you use multiple bottles on a full tank?

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
benz01 said:
For the guys that use Chevron additive and have the 22 gal tank, do you use 2 full bottles, 1.5, or just 1? One bottle treats 15 gal so I was wondering if you just add 15 gal or if you use multiple bottles on a full tank?

What I did was run the truck till e than bought the 12gal treatment and put 11.5 gal of fuel in the truck.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
strat81 said:
From what I've read on BobIsTheOilGuy.com, the only three products that contain Polyether Amines (PEA), which is one of the few substances that work for cleaning a fuel system are: Techron (original, not Pro-Gard), BG44K, and Redline SI-1. By far, Techron is the easiest to find

If you want a fuel stabilizer, Sta-Bil Marine and SeaFoam are good choices. SeaFoam seems to help minimize carb gumming in small 2-stroke engines.

Have you seen the Gumout commercial with the guys who have engines for their heads? Gumout Regane has PEA as well and i alternate it with techron

strat81

Dec 29, 2011
CaptainXL said:
Have you seen the Gumout commercial with the guys who have engines for their heads? Gumout Regane has PEA as well and i alternate it with techron

Haven't seen the commercial, but I believe you are correct about it containing PEA. Just be careful, because there are a few Gumout products out there.

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
jemmie said:
I'm not that anal but it's the general idea. Techron also comes in 20oz bottles.

Lol well I love my chevy !!!!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online