Fuel pump....

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
I just want a bit of clarification. I was talking to my dad about having to drop the gas tank to fix my floaty thing issue(Fuel level sensor). He has owned nothing but GM products since he was the legal driving age. Anywho, he told me when the sender goes bad, that the fuel pump is usually on it's way out too or getting ready to also take a shit. I value my dad's advice very much as he is very mechanically inclined and does all his own work on his vehicles.

I just want to verify if that's that case with our platforms? I wouldn't expect anything less from Phantom or GM lol but that's not a cheap part and if it goes out or is on it's way out I don' know what I would do. We are trying to save as much money as possible as we're planning a wedding, and buying a house.

So, any advice on this? Also what are some symptoms of a dying fuel pump?

MDBT

Jan 26, 2012
I can't speak for the TB specifically but I can concur with your father that it's a common practice and line of thought with GM vehicles from my experience as well. Though I would add that it's as much because you're already dropping the tank so it's easy to swap the whole thing out as it is for fear of the pump going bad. Kind of like insurance against having to tear everything apart again.

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
Voymom, have you called your dealer to see if they will split the cost with you? I've had this same thought but I honestly haven't heard of many fuel pumps going bad on our platform.

fishguy1123

Dec 5, 2011
I can say that if you live in the rust belt the salt eats the external connections and they will leak. Mine did right after I bought it last yr. I bought the pump for around 300 from carquest and replaced it. The worst part of the job is the pocket nuts that the bolts for the strap break and makes it a PITA to get the straps off. Not sure what differences there might be on the lwb models though. Definately a 2 person job to manuver the tank to get it out. And to state the obvious, make sure it's low on gas to make it easier. IMO for the hassel I'd replace the pump if you can.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
wow does the pump really cost that much? i just bought a walbro 255 for my project car and that was around $100

fishguy1123

Dec 5, 2011
Depending on brand... I think on the os that the bosch was the one to get. Probly 275-300 depending on coupons and such.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Voymom said:
So, any advice on this?

I don't believe in it. When I worked at the dealer there were cases where I banged in a floaty thing under the 3/36 warranty and the owner still got normal mileage (>100k) out of the pump. The floaty thing in my pickup started acting up 4 years before the pump crapped out.

But, if the Envoy is up there in mileage (>120K) and you don't know the history, it might be best to do the pump now. Nothing is worse then your wife driving 100 miles and you getting a call that the truck stalled/won't start. Then driving the 100 miles yourself to bang the pump in. I don't want to know what a 100 mile tow would have cost. So even if money is tight, it might be money well spent.

Voymom said:
Also what are some symptoms of a dying fuel pump?

-pump won't turn on, turns on if you smack the bottom of the tank
-pump has high amp draw
-you "see" bad spot/spots on the commutator with a lab scope

Also, the Bosch on rockauto doesn't come with a floaty thing.:hissyfit:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Thanks for the feed back everyone!! Sorry for the delay in my reply. Was helping the ex in laws move out of my soon to be house :biggrin: had the voy loaded up to the roof with stuff hauling it back and forth to both houses.

I think we will consider doing the pump and the filter when we change the floaty thing. I have seen some of the pump prices in the $400's but that was from O' reillys.

But it's been a very long day, so I'm going to grab a beer and relax. Thanks again for all of the advice!

n0kfb

Dec 8, 2011
For what it's worth, when my fuel level sensor went out on my '06 'Voy with about 115,000 miles I fixed the sensor but I did not replace the fuel pump.

-- Dan Meyer :coffee:

strat81

Dec 29, 2011
I've changed a few fuel pumps in my lifetime. The experience is such that I hate doing it because it's a huge PITA. That being the case, I'd rather not drop the tank more than I have to, so my vote is to replace the pump and float at the same time.

Amazon has a bunch of different brands of fuel pumps for under $250. Prime members get it overnight for $4.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
The sensor is pretty cheap compared to other cars with one piece sending units. So might as well

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.