Fuel pump won't fit thru opening of tank

2001ZR2

Original poster
Jul 16, 2019
Kansas
hello all I am trying to resolve a P0171 code due to low fuel pressure.

I have a new pump coming tomorrow but the old unit has separated from a couple of the tabs for the reservoir.

I am unable to get the damn thing out. Any help is appreciated.

Started a new thread as this is a new issue.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Yeah they won't come straight out, takes some coaxing and angles. Worst case scenario, cut off whatever is holding you up in a clean manor then fish it out separate.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
@MAY03LT ...The Master at Work... From about 9:40 onwards:

2001ZR2

Original poster
Jul 16, 2019
Kansas
Both of his pumps had a smaller diameter reservoir. I am having getting pump past the throat. What I suspect is someone replaced the pump and it wasn't the correct one. Or my old eyes aren't seeing the original sealing ring but I did pull off a green o ring

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
I just replaced mine for the second time two weeks ago... It is a tight squeeze getting the fuel pump out with those plastic tabs on the side of the fuel pump.

I lifted mine out at a slight angle until I could get one side of the fuel pumps plastic tabs to sit against the fuel tank neck. I then pressed those tabs against the neck firmly and then slowly straightened the fuel pump and was able to pull it out very slowly.

I also used a manual gas can pump, to get the remaining fuel out of the fuel tank to be able to remove the debris that was floating around the bottom of the tank. I would spend a little extra time removing said debris as this should extend the life of your new fuel pump.

Make sure that you also replace that green seal as it can get gummy if/when fuel touches it. My new fuel pump did come with a new seal, some do not though.

Edit: @2001ZR2 The fuel pump (for sure) and I think the tank were both changed in newer models. MAYO3LT has the older style pump in that video.
Your pump has the plastic tabs in the middle of the fuel pump like mine does. Circled in the screenshot below.

fuel pump.PNG

Last edited:

2001ZR2

Original poster
Jul 16, 2019
Kansas
I got help from the mechanic I use when something is over my head or there is a time issue.

He said that it appeared swollen and was the worst he's seen. He was able to get it out in minutes and grateful the tank was drained.

Now waiting on Amazon for new fuel pump

Maverick6587 Those tabs have been the bane of my existence the last 16 hours or so.

Thank you for your input

Reactions: Maverick6587

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Make sure you thoroughly clean the top of that tank, specifically the area where the fuel pump goes in at the neck with towel/rag soaked with throttle body cleaner. After that, I would tip the tank to one end and wipe that end with a rag. Just to make sure you get any debris out that may have gotten in there during your travels with it.

EDIT: I meant to say, tip the tank to one end and wipe the inside of the tank.

I only wiped mine off the first time and ended up getting a little bit of debris in the tank while trying to squeeze the fuel pump in that hole and during the tightening process.

Last edited:
Reactions: Redbeard

2001ZR2

Original poster
Jul 16, 2019
Kansas
Good Advice Maverick6587 but I covered the openings and hit with the after using a broom to remove the loose stuff. I did this before I opened the fuel pump opening

Reactions: Maverick6587

Winborn

Feb 3, 2024
Chattanooga
If the fuel pump has been installed and locked down, it can not be reused because when it is locked down, the neck flanges bend out and it won’t fit back Into tank hole. This happened to me when I was trouble shooting an engine light and tried to reinstall it.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Never heard of that one before. What about when replacing just the fuel level sensor? I'm pretty sure I have removed and re-installed a pump or two and had no issues getting it back in.

Reactions: mrrsm

Winborn

Feb 3, 2024
Chattanooga
Never heard of that one before. What about when replacing just the fuel level sensor? I'm pretty sure I have removed and re-installed a pump or two and had no issues getting it back in.

i removed my pump, 2007 gmc sierra, and installed a new one that was junk because of the codes it gave me. Decided to put my old one back In And it wouldn’t fit. Tried to put the junk one back in and it wouldn’t fit. Bought a second one that was a genuine gm and it went right in. When comparing them I noticed the neck flanges were bent out after locking them down. Probably could have got them in by prying, but bed was not completely removed and didn’t have the room to do this.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online