Fuel Pump Strainer

Maverick6587

Original poster
Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
I could not find anything anywhere about the strainer attached to the bottom of the fuel pump. I replaced the fuel pump assembly last December and now the fuel pressure regulator is bad, CEL is on for it, P0451. I have already replaced the fuel cap and the CEL still comes on.

The fuel pump has a lifetime warranty on it so, I figured I'd just use the warranty to replace the entire assembly since I'm going to have to undo the fuel tank straps anyway, might as well replace the entire thing since it's "free" to replace the pump. Open to other ideas to fix the CEL but, I'm still going to replace the pump while I'm there.

I bought a Delphi fuel pump (before I knew about their poor quality). It did not come with the strainer. I used the strainer from my old pump. It was the middle of winter and I was stuck in the driveway, not fun.

Anyway, the only strainers I can find are sold with the fuel pump motor (not the assembly, just the pump. link below). Does anyone know where I could find just the strainer, without having to buy a pump motor with it? It's not a huge deal, it's only $21 but, I'd rather pay $5-20. I could always just put the pump motor in my old broken fuel pump and have a backup.

Amazon Fuel Pump and Strainers

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I don't remember a strainer on my 06 when I replaced it. I think because the filter is built-in, it doesn't need a strainer anymore. Your original pump had a strainer?

Delphi used to be a good brand as one of the OEM suppliers to GM but I think after a bankruptcy and buyout by another company, they've been going downhill lately. That sensor is probably just $10 but since you can get a whole new pump, why not? :biggrin:

Maverick6587

Original poster
Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Yes, my original pump did have a strainer.

I'm going to call Delphi to clarify the strainer is needed now that I think of it. It is part of their warranty on that amazon page for that pump. That the strainer and/or the fuel filter needs to be replaced.

Since the fuel filter is in the pump assembly. I'm wondering if I need the strainer. I don't know if that pump was ever replaced before I got the vehicle though. Thanks for pointing that out @Mooseman

EDIT: I talked to Delphi's tech center. The gentleman there said that it does not require a strainer because both the strainer and fuel filter are built into the fuel pump assembly.

I assume the previous owner replaced the pump assembly then either with a new pump, but the wrong year or grabbed it from the junkyard from the wrong year vehicle. If the pumps are even compatible I guess. If not then he just decided to add it, no idea.

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online