Fuel Pump Replacement Video

Eric04

Original poster
Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
This is from Chris Fix. The point of his video was finding and flipping a vehicle, but it turns out he found a 2005 Trailblazer with issues. I couldn't help but hate him for how easy he made the fuel tank drop and replacement look when most everyone else says it's a royal PITA without a hoist. Anyway, I thought it was a good watch.

2001ZR2

Jul 16, 2019
Kansas
The 1st tank I ever pulled to replace a pump was on a 2005 Trailblazer last July. It was easier than my 2001 Blazer and if you want to see what PITA try pulling a tank on a 3rd Gen Camaro. Had to cut the exhaust and remove the panhard bars.

• Wow
Reactions: 808 and Eric04

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Watching him use a screwdriver on the fuel pump collar made me cringe. I've never personally seen it but have heard of sparks going and ignighting fumes on people for doing that. Brass punch is what you should use do that doesn't happen. Otherwise yes, as long as the fuel level is low the tank is a joke on these. I took mine in and out just pressing it into place on my back. Not too bad.

Eric04

Original poster
Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
I know, right? I'm sure plenty of people use screwdrivers on the tank ring but it was the first time seeing it done on video. That tank had been empty awhile, being a salvage tank, but still was weird to see.

I'm sure there are worse models to drop a tank from, but there have been choice words about connector access and the like on these. I haven't had the pleasure *yet* and the one friend of mine who did said it was easy, but he's one of those guys who never admits to struggles unless there was a witness.

• Haha
Reactions: 808

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I have about the largest hands possible and connector access wasn't too bad. The 05 and up is worse than the 04 as the fuel line connections canbe removed at the fuel filter still. The pressure sensor is also on the back if the tank on those too.

Reactions: Eric04

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Although I liked the video in general, I just cringe whenever he's overly "excited". Just needs to take it down a notch. You should watch some of his earlier videos, which were the polar opposite. I guess it works for him and his channel.

He is a member here when he was working on his first TB but hasn't been here in a long time. ( @dogfish )

Eric04

Original poster
Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
Yeah, the hooting and hollering was, uh, way over the top. I agree that it's for show. Mostly I liked the good, clear look at the top of the tank and the video quality that he's able to produce due to his advantages.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Although I liked the video in general, I just cringe whenever he's overly "excited". Just needs to take it down a notch. You should watch some of his earlier videos, which were the polar opposite. I guess it works for him and his channel.

He is a member here when he was working on his first TB but hasn't been here in a long time. ( @dogfish )
He's a lot more laid back in person. I've driven past his house a few times. (We have pools on his street) but never stopped by there. I've met him at the track events though. Brian stopped by and he gave him some free stuff like plate frames and key chains though. He was laid back then too. His earlier videos are more like the personality he has when I met him. But he gets excited and jokes around too like we all do lol. He's a cool guy overall.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
His videos are well done and are well geared towards newbies. But yeah, just makes it look too easy at times, just like renovation shows. I'm pretty sure there were more issues with that truck that he doesn't mention. Still a good deal though.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Will be interesting to see when he does the paint cleanup.

May 5, 2022
Georgia

I remember watching his first stuff years ago, I remember the marked change in his demeanor that occurred in his video presence. I'd suppose the reasoning in his enthusiasm and conduct is relative to the amount of investment he initially made before YouTube effectively monetized their content makers.

He's funded to independently mechanic now, which, for many mechanics was *all they ever wanted*.

Either paradigm shift or medication, I appreciate his manner, as keeping morale in the face of challenge is key. Yes, it is one of those performance aspects that could be addressed as "uncontrollable enthusiasm" or "giddiness", but the degree of his on camera optimism is a nuance to general mechanical conversation, and abnormal to status quo.

He's currently at 9.3M subscribers, so, I'd say he's helping as much as he can.

It hurts me to see the Haynes manual, but I've got 2 of them for the Trailblazer/Gmc/Envoy, and they're at least a "starting point", likened to the rest of collective methodology, etc.

There's no doubt that the vehicle in the video had tense *ISSUES* that remained unexamined.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online