Fuel Pump Replacement - from the top

Mektek

Original poster
May 2, 2017
FL
I hoped that someone had already tried this, but it seems no one has gone through it on a trailblazer. There are write ups for jeeps and explorers and pickups, but none that I can find for the SWB TB. So here it is:

Remove the rear driver side seat bottom bracket nuts with a deep 18mm socket.
From the middle of the two studs go forward until you feel a body seam running across the floor. This is the approximate center point of the pump assembly. Make a small cut so you can feel under the carpet to find the seam. Be careful to make a shallow cut since there are wiring harnesses in several places under the carpet. You will have to cut the carpet above this point in a three inch radius so it's larger than the top of the pump - the opening should be at least six inches wide.
Cut the metal beneath a similar size. Be very careful as there is very little distance to the tank - my fingers could barely fit between the body and the tank. Don't use a jig saw. Probably a dremel with a metal cutting disk would be best.
From this point continue with the regular fuel pump replacement procedure.

Why should you do this?
If you ever have a problem with the pump or sender the repair will be quick and easy. If you have no way to lift the truck so you can get under it and lower the tank, then you might want to try it.

Why did I not do it?
The hole is directly under the passenger's feet. Not only will you have the carpet cut up in a visible area but you will need to make a fairly robust plate to cover the hole in the floor. If you don't mind throwing a floor mat over it to cover it up then you'll be fine.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The pickup guys do it a lot but haven't heard of anybody here doing it. Might be worth it for somebody that's keeping their GMT360 for a long time. However, if you get the good stuff or take measures to prevent the lines from rusting out , you'll likely only replace the pump or sender once in its lifetime.

Shaw520

Sep 20, 2017
Northeast
I replaced the pump in my 05 TB the conventional way,...really not that hard of a job,...the most difficult part was getting all the emission/evap lines back in place.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
The pickup guys do it a lot but haven't heard of anybody here doing it. Might be worth it for somebody that's keeping their GMT360 for a long time. However, if you get the good stuff or take measures to prevent the lines from rusting out , you'll likely only replace the pump or sender once in its lifetime.

Pickup guys that I know of more often just remove the bed. Only something like 6 bolts and if you have some assistance it isn't that bad to lift off. A coworker used his kid's swing set as a "hoist" to remove the bed to do his pump lol.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Why in the hell would you cut the carpet? F-body guys and other cut trap doors for fuel pumps all the time and you just move the carpet so you never know it happened. Hell my Impala had a stock trap door in the carpet and the floor.

CajunWon

Nov 25, 2012
Cary, NC
Thanks! this is on my to-do list. Could you attach a picture with tape measurements?
(oh, now see you have not cut an access panel)

here is a pic from my JeepGC cuts
1520345466170.png

Last edited:

Mektek

Original poster
May 2, 2017
FL
Why in the hell would you cut the carpet? F-body guys and other cut trap doors for fuel pumps all the time and you just move the carpet so you never know it happened. Hell my Impala had a stock trap door in the carpet and the floor.
The carpet is underneath the fusebox, rear seatback, floor side moldings and so on. Unless you want to remove all those parts the carpet has to be cut

CajunWon

Nov 25, 2012
Cary, NC
Agree on cutting carpet, would have to cut somewhere regardless and remove some trim. Surely the cut will be smaller then floor mat, and the idea for this is to have easy access when needed. I went in 3+ times on the jeep. 2 of 3 Artec(sp?) pumps failed, once just to pump a few gallons into a boat.
-no rush since I just need to replace the FTP sensor.

CajunWon

Nov 25, 2012
Cary, NC
Access panel is a no go.
There is a large bundle of wires under the carpet which cannot be easily moved. The carpet rests on and is in direct contact with this bundle so take great care if cutting carpet. This bundle is also where part of an access panel would be located. So, imo, cannot make a fuel pump access from the top.

Mektek

Original poster
May 2, 2017
FL
Us gmt 360 owners just can't get a break:bonk:

Fortunately the pump rarely fails - if I get another 200K miles out of the replacement, then it's a tolerable job.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online