Fuel Pump Replacement Alternative

Mektek

Original poster
May 2, 2017
FL
I just finished replacing the fuel pump with a low cost assembly from Ebay - yeah I know I should use AC Delco blah blah blah...... It has a lifetime warranty I hope I'll never use.
When I disassembled the old assembly to extract the pump, I made an interesting discovery. It appears that the TB fuel pump assembly has a standard pump inside - used by a multitude of other vehicles (kia accura ford gm etc.)
Check out this ebay listing:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ELECTR...ash=item25ab9ae1c5:g:fw0AAOSwB-1Yp5sh&vxp=mtr
Scroll down a bit to see the exploded diagram of the pump itself. Sooner or later the brushes will wear out and the pump performance will decline or fail intermittently. Guaranteed to happen to any similarly designed pump - whether or not it is the OEM Bosch or one of the copies.
You can always afford to replace an $8 pump - if you are hitting 200k miles then you should just replace the pump as preventative maintenance.
It's not difficult to take apart the case and extract the pump.
Funny how it works - take it to the dealer and pay $1200 or Ebay for $8 and a couple of days work. Choose your poison :bonk:

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
good find.... hopefully it will last the lifetime of your vehicle. I guess the question is how did you get "there".... was there a part number stamped on the internal pump unit that you "cross referenced"?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
When I replaced the one in the Saab, the previous owner replaced just the pump. He had used a piece of regular rubber fuel line to replace the plastic corrugated one. Worked fine, just the metal line outside rusted out so had to replace the whole thing.

Another thing that tends to wear out is the fuel level sender. Not a bad idea to replace both at the same time.

Reactions: Bow_Tied

Mektek

Original poster
May 2, 2017
FL
good find.... hopefully it will last the lifetime of your vehicle. I guess the question is how did you get "there".... was there a part number stamped on the internal pump unit that you "cross referenced"?

No - the OEM unit only had a label on the top of the assembly - the pump inside had nothing printed on it. Purely used a visual comparison to see that the physical configuration of the in and out ports were identical to the OEM pump. The electrical connector was mechanically identical as well but some showed reversed polarity so it may be necessary to reverse the pins on the harness. Otherwise it's a drop-in installation.

Attachments

• fuel pump.jpg
    fuel pump.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 11

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
At $9, I'd be afraid it's a CCC. My personal experience with them is not good.

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON

CajunWon

Nov 25, 2012
Cary, NC
"This part is not compatible with 2006 GMC Envoy Denali Sport Utility 4-Door 5.3L 5328CC 325Cu. In. V8 GAS OHV Naturally Aspirated"

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If you mean the "pump only" part, yeah, it would say that.

Looking at the picture again, I have to say it's probably CCC because it has a few misspells like all good Chinglish writers do.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online

No members online now.