Fuel pump pipe seal and collar

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
This is for my 2006 9-7x 5.3L. I'm in the middle of replacing the fuel pump. Old one the metal line rusted out and was spewing fuel. Had problems removing the old fuel and evap lines from the pump. I broke the clip for the evap line and I can't get the collar off the old fuel pump supply line. Dorman has replacement clips but I can't find anything regarding the seals and collars. Looked at online microfiches, RockAuto and there's nothing about the seals and collars. I especially need the collar for the fuel feed line.

Any info appreciated.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
You're referring to the plastic bushing that goes in between the metal on the pump and the plastic that the clip goes into correct? When I did mine doorman only had the smaller fuel line clip so I had to run to the dealer. It was 5 bucks for that stupid clip but I walked in showed the guy the piece and he knew right away. If it comes to it, chances are they have everything. Granted someone probably knows a heck of a lot more about this than I here. I used the is it still snug method and determined everything was fine. Took quite a while to fish the end of the pump from the line though. Sorry I don't have more info.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I figured that I would need to go to the dealer. Unfortunately, all closed for today. It's weird that they don't list part numbers for these pieces. I guess it's a closely guarded secret. When I get them, I'll post up the part numbers.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Well crap. Dealer was no help. Only way I can get that part tiny part is to replace the WHOLE LINE for $103! Like WTF?

I went to my local fastener shop and picked up a few nylon nuts and a brass bushing that may fit with some tweaking. Stay tuned!

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Got a pic of what you're looking for? We've got a bunch of random fuel line clips and such at work.

Stuff such as it used to be you had to replace the line but now we have these clips and they fix the issue without replacing the line.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I was able to make my own collar. I found a 3/8" bronze bushing but was just a little too thick to fit inside the fitting. Cut it to the right height and then just spun it on the bench grinder to reduce it's outer diameter until it fit just snug inside the fitting. The photos explain it better.

What this collar does is keep the metal line from the pump straight inside the fitting and against the clip.

And I also needed all new clips. They were either broken or lost their tension.
DSC_0110.JPG DSC_0111.JPG DSC_0113.JPG DSC_0118.JPG DSC_0115.JPG DSC_0121.JPG

Last edited:

steveO

Apr 6, 2012
I had the same issue but I could not get the rusted pipe out of the connectors with out damaging the connector on one of them. Decided to put connectors on
they were 3/8 and 5/16.
Cut the plastic tube right at the end and used my flaring tool to hold the pipe so I could drive it on. Used a socket on the inside to tap it in.
I think the connectors cost about $13.00 had to buy 2 of each in the package.

All those connectors have that nylon bushing inside them. I pulled it out when I changed the fuel filter as well almost lost it!

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just finished the install today, no leaks or any issues. So this is an option for those looking for a suitable replacement.

Reactions: xavierny25

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Hope this is contributory...in principle if nothing else for how to R&R these items which is complimentary to the Epic TB Fuel Tank R&R Video done by @MAY03LT. I Spotted this interesting Video that shows how salt water, salt spread on roads for ice control... the general dirt and water exposure can work their mischief on the brilliant "Non Stainless Steel" Fuel Pump Parts that can do more than just imitate EVAP leaks... but develop pinhole leaks on the Fuel Pump outer housing after completely rusting through. So if you are a Boater or get wet and dirty...knowing what is down there might be helpful if you smell a heavy cloud of gas fumes and are wondering where it might be coming from:

Last edited:

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, it's similar except my fuel line wasn't the metal type like this one but the plastic clip type. Mine was rusted to shit like this one too except that it was the fuel line that leaked badly due to rust. To prevent that, I painted the top of the module with POR15 rust paint. I should have taken more pics :worried:

Reactions: mrrsm

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.