Fuel Pump lock ring tool

NJTB

Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
All
I recently replaced the fuel pump in my 04 TB due to rotted fuel lines, and soon after a P440 code appeared. Crawled back under the car to check the lines, etc. to make sure I didn't leave something off or loose (I didn't), but the 440 persists.
I think the code is caused by the seal around the fuel pump leaking. When I was installing it, I put about 1/2 hour effort to get the new seal in, with no luck, and had to use the old one. Seems I have to take the tank back out and put the new seal that came with the pump in.
So, my question is what is the correct part number for the removal/installer lock ring tool? After alot of searching there are 2 part numbers J44402, and J45722. Which one works on an 04 TB? Has anyone used the Lisle or similar 'fits all' tools?
Over the years, I must have done a hundred similar fuel pumps with a hammer and punch, and NEVER had this much trouble.

AWD V8

Jan 12, 2015
I've done hundreds of fuel pumps with lock rings, including my Envoy. Never thought of buying any tool to remove the lock ring.

Depending on the ring, either 2 large screwdrivers crossed and engaged in the tabs of the ring. Sometimes a hammer and screwdriver is needed to bump the ring to break it loose before the screwdrivers are used. I blow out the dirt first and spray some lube around the ring so it rotates easy.

Or for an external ring I use my large Channel pliers.

Reactions: Mounce

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Has anyone used the Lisle or similar 'fits all' tools?

I've got a few universals but nothing fit my 2003. I really only use them for plastic lock rings since the plastic tabs don't like being hammered/screwdrivered, but I did try them to see if they would work on our trucks.

Hate to see you go through that again. Did the original pump have the green ring?

NJTB

Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
I hate to go through it, too.
No, the original looked similar to the new one, a black rubber sleeve with a flange. It slid over the pump and had a o ring type thing where the lock ring seated. The old one had a ribbed type thing where the lock ring seated.
Problem was on the new one, the o ring is just too fat to hold the lock ring down and hammer/screwdriver the thing on. I could just get it started but couldn't hold it down enough to get another little bit of twist to hammer it home. Tried some WD 40, etc. Must have popped back out 30 times. Then I got worried about hitting it too hard and was going to break something. Tried giant channel locks and the channel lock type oil filter wrench with no luck.
HOWEVER, when I put the old seal back on, it went together just a bit too easy, about 3 or 4 raps and it was home. Didn't think it would be a problem.
I'm hoping someone on this list knows which Kent Moore tool is the correct one, J44402 or J45722.
Thanks for the tip on the aftermarket tool, had those same experiences myself, and at least I wont be spending more money on something that won't work.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.