Fuel pump assembly correct p/n

Tankcruiser

Original poster
Oct 29, 2018
Toledo
I ordered fuel pump assy via amazon and gotten carter P76217M said its correct part for my 05 ext
However i found an carter P76218M that also fits......

Which one is the correct part?
of course i have the straight 6
Thank You.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Looking at both on Carter's site, the one ending in '7' has a minimum (guaranteed) pressure of 58psi. The other one is slightly higher, at 62psi. Both are rated at 29gph.

The only physical difference I can see (via my phone) is the color of the sealing o-ring - one is black, th other green.

Given that your truck is an '05, I'd prolly go with the second one, if I didn't already have one in hand. But I think you'd be OK with the first one, if you already have it.
BTW - There's a better sealing ring available, if you're interested (it's larger, and more of a lip seal vs an o-ring). You can get them at your local parts store).

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
P76218M is for the EXT only. There is a difference between the two. So the correct one is P76217M for the SWB.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Yes - now that I can see both on my laptop (and on Amazon & Rock's sites instead of Carter's)...

There are some substantial (!) differences between the SWB and LWB pumps. I won't detail all of them, but even the float / level sensor is different.

The LWB (which the OP actually has, per post #1) version is also $110 USD more expensive on Amazon -- and at $220, I'd bite the bullet & make the spend for a better brand, like AC Delco, Bosch (who made the OEMs for GM), or even Denso (who has a very good rep for quality; they supply several Asian OEMs). I'd also look at Rock's pricing, vs. Amazon's, as well as their selection (Amazon has several brands, but most are just variations of CCC ('cheap chinese crap')

Tankcruiser

Original poster
Oct 29, 2018
Toledo
thank you everybody awesome forum!
definately returning it and get correct pump!
carter came out with better strainer 40 percent more dirt holding per carter website.....

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online