Fuel Pressure Sensor on Tank Loosened?

Dadwagon

Original poster
May 21, 2020
West coast
Background: recently replaced the fuel pump and fuel pressure sensor on the tank, did it myself so I know the quality of the work, everything was snug when I finished. Passed smog and drove several hundred miles with many drive cycles afterward with no issues.

Last week I smelled gas and guessed the tank inlet had cracked given there was evidence of gas under the inlet hose. Go to inspect from below the car and it appears there's gas on the electrical connector of the fuel pressure sensor at the top of the tank and I can wiggle that sensor.

What are the odds that sensor just finds its way loose on it's own? The plastic bar that clamps it in place clipped it down just fine when I reinstalled the tank. If my wife overfilled the tank, could that have caused the sensor to pop out??
I want someone or something to point a finger at because this is ridiculous.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
What brand pump? Although not the same issue, my son replaced the pump on his Silvy with a Spectra and within a couple of weeks, the tank pressure sensor failed, shorting out, putting it into REP and throwing a bunch of codes. He unplugged it and was able to drive it. Eventually he'll replace it.

It's possible yours either worked loose or is bad.

Dadwagon

Original poster
May 21, 2020
West coast
Mooseman: Mine is a 2004 SWB with the fuel pressure sensor on the tank, not on the fuel pump. It's a stand-alone connection on the plastic.

Update: The new sensor I installed failed. The rubber bit that seals the plastic "probe" into the tank...well it failed. It must have dropped into the tank. When I removed the sensor, it felt very loose before I even took the clip off. When it came out, I could see this cheap Chinese junk catastrophically failed after about a month and a half of service. I found the old one and replaced with it. Cleared the CEL, will wait to see. But there is No Gas Smell and no dribble today, so that was definitely the leak. It would only squirt out when I started driving or when the gas sloshed around in the tank.

If you work with this sensor, use a stubby flathead screwdriver and Gently Gently pop the retainer clip from the left side. It attaches to the tank on the right and the left side is the "open" end, it's frustratingly hard to see it without dropping the tank. Gently pop that up so you don't snap it off or this part could most definitely fly off should the gasket fail like it did on mine. Or duct tape it!

Dadwagon

Original poster
May 21, 2020
West coast
For reference, I used the cheapest possible part as replacement, DIY Solutions off of Parts Geek. $25 versus $40 for ACDelco.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online