Fuel line between pump and filter?

Stugar

Original poster
Apr 17, 2019
Michigan
So, a previous owner of my 255k Envoy left me this mess

Yes that is a snake bite connector going into the fuel filter at the wrong angle, and yes you’re right that that stops the filter from being properly fitted to its bracket.

I just dealt with it back in August when I replaced the pump and I zip tied it as well as I could. Well today it’s left me stranded, in fact I’m writing this from the side of the road waiting for aaa to tow me home. The snake bite lost it’s grip on the metal filter and will not stay on.

My primary question, now that I’m done complaining, is will part 15174333 work on an 04 4.2L? All the sources that I can find say that it is only for 02-03. But other sources say that the pump and filter were the exact same until 05 when they ditched the the external fuel filter. Anyone know which is likely to be true?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
First guess is that the Prior Owner installed the incorrect Fuel Lines and left you with a serious issue. If you scope this video covering the R&R of the 2002-2004 Fuel Pump exposes enough of the Hosing Arrangements that may prove helpful if you can freeze frame and screen print the important parts to show you which ones are supposed to be installed adjacent the tank and then show those printouts of what is presently have installed versus what the Parts Counter can identify for what actually needs replacing from that “Bag of Snakes” down there:

This image shows the position the Fuel Filter should be mounted into correctly align with hosing that appears to have an indwelling Right Angle Connector:

2004ENVOYFUELINES.jpg

Stugar

Original poster
Apr 17, 2019
Michigan
Yeah, what he did (well, the shop that did it for him) was he destroyed the factory fitting, and cut it off, and rather than using that splice to splice on a repair fitting, they decided to just go straight into the filter and send it. Problem is that snake bites don't bite very well on steel lines like the stubs coming out of the filter, and when snake bites fail they fail permanently.

I decided to risk it and buy the lines being sold for the 02-03, both supply and return line because the factory splice in the middle of both was rusty and causing some worry when I replaced the pump last year. Worst case scenario I return them because they won't fit and I improvise a better fix than what was done last time.

Stugar

Original poster
Apr 17, 2019
Michigan
Turns out BTW that the fuel pump is in a different location on the tank for the 04 model year, so the 02-03 lines are too short to fit. I wound up using a repair connector and splicing it in with a barbed connector.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
That makes sense since they put a larger tank in. 02-03 had the dinky 18 gal tank.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Looking at that GM (?) diagram that @MRRSM posted - that looks like the OEM connection is a 90 degree? That really surprises me, from a flow standpoint (yeah, I know the pump is continually pushing it through, but still).

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online