Fuel level sensor replacement question

drkhead

Original poster
Jun 26, 2012
I really don't feel like changing it myself and would rather pay to have the shop do it, probably the stealership.

The question I have is: Would these morons by any chance touch my PCM and waste my tune?

I can't imagine why they would, but just wanted to make sure.

anthonyl79

Jul 15, 2012
Colorado
drkhead said:
I really don't feel like changing it myself and would rather pay to have the shop do it, probably the stealership.

The question I have is: Would these morons by any chance touch my PCM and waste my tune?

Im not sure about the tune, but I would imagine that they would hook a scanner up to it. I know mine has a code in it for the fuel level sensor.

OctaneRider03

Jul 31, 2012
No way man, they'll leave your PCM alone. When I replaced my fuel sensor, it never affected the tune I had on my PCM. Everything ran fine man. The sensor in my 06 LT went out two years ago, I went to the dealership and bought a new one for less then $30 I believe and did the install myself. Watch out though dude, they'll get you on the labor. I've got a close friend that just so happens to be the head manager of a shop here in my local town and he hooked me up after hours. I got the part, waited for him to close up shop at the end of the day, then rolled into the bay and went to town on it. I started off by going downstairs and using the lift to get the truck off the ground and high enough where I knew I'd have clearance to drop the tank (if you're thinking about doing it yourself potentially, make sure you run it damn-near out of fuel) and then removed the brackets around it. Once I had everything out of the way and the tank was loose, we both go t underneath it and slowly lowered it to the ground. From there we saw where the gas would lead into it, took the top-cap of it off and disconnected the sensor. Once I hooked up the new one, we threw everything back together and sent her back in. Afterwards my fuel level read normal again and the problem was solved. It was about a half hour job.

If you DO decide to have a shop do it, just be sure to watch what exactly they're charging you for. It's NOT a hard job, nor is it time consuming. Don't let them get you on labor bro! Hope all works out for you! -Lee :cool:

drkhead

Original poster
Jun 26, 2012
anthonyl79 said:
Im not sure about the tune, but I would imagine that they would hook a scanner up to it. I know mine has a code in it for the fuel level sensor.

As long as they don't plan on flashing it. I can't think of why they would...

But if there was a chance, I would just change it myself and clear the code myself as well.

Currently, my sensor codes immediately after fill up, and gets better (and more accurate) after 50 miles or so, to the point where the code shuts off. I would bring the thing to them with it off likely, which is a pain because I'm curious if they would even honor the latest recall (50% !$!!@#!)

drkhead

Original poster
Jun 26, 2012
OctaneRider03 said:
If you DO decide to have a shop do it, just be sure to watch what exactly they're charging you for. It's NOT a hard job, nor is it time consuming. Don't let them get you on labor bro! Hope all works out for you! -Lee :cool:

Yeah, I hear ya... I'm half-tempted to do it on my own. I just hate dealing with running the tank down, fuel splashing on me etc...

If it were <$250, I'm tempted to just pay the price for my laziness.

OctaneRider03

Jul 31, 2012
drkhead said:
Yeah, I hear ya... I'm half-tempted to do it on my own. I just hate dealing with running the tank down, fuel splashing on me etc...

If it were <$250, I'm tempted to just pay the price for my laziness.

Hah, I drive mine down the interstate and back real quick and lowered it within minutes. No fuel came out, it was a very clean job my friend. Good luck and if you've got any questions just holler!

drkhead

Original poster
Jun 26, 2012
OctaneRider03 said:
Hah, I drive mine down the interstate and back real quick and lowered it within minutes. No fuel came out, it was a very clean job my friend. Good luck and if you've got any questions just holler!

You guys definitely have me thinking now!!!! If it were a 100% payment recall, it'd be one thing... But maybe I just will do this. I'll wait for September when the weather cools off even more is all.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
drkhead said:

That's a good question. I can't recall if they are supposed to check the CAL ID of the pcm as part of the "special coverage" sending unit procedure like they are supposed to do for warranty work, but they very well may.

Does anyone have a copy of the procedure?

n0kfb

Dec 8, 2011
DON'T TAKE YOUR TRUCK TO THE DEALER! (sorry for the yelling... I feel better now.)

Find a good local independant mechanic, and start taking all of your work to him. Even simple things, like oil changes and tire repair. If you do this, you will trust your mechanic when he says your truck needs something. Secondly, the labor rate of the independant shop will be much less than the dealer, and he will likely not be trying to beat the flat rate book, cutting corners to earn more money.

-- Dan Meyer :coffee:

drkhead

Original poster
Jun 26, 2012
n0kfb said:
DON'T TAKE YOUR TRUCK TO THE DEALER! (sorry for the yelling... I feel better now.)

Find a good local independant mechanic, and start taking all of your work to him. Even simple things, like oil changes and tire repair. If you do this, you will trust your mechanic when he says your truck needs something. Secondly, the labor rate of the independant shop will be much less than the dealer, and he will likely not be trying to beat the flat rate book, cutting corners to earn more money.

-- Dan Meyer :coffee:

It's a very good point. I only thought of a dealer in this case for ease of reimbursement re: the recall.

But in general, I do nearly all repairs on my own anyways.

Indybp57

Jan 9, 2012
drkhead said:
After they paid their 50% I'm assuming?
$150 was my out-of-pocket. I don't know why they won't quote a flat rate for that job - I have heard differing amounts others have paid. My neice also had a different dealer do hers and it was in that ballpark. They typically want to do some diagnostics before they blindly throw a sensor on it.

sse1990

Dec 12, 2011
I went to the dealer to have mine done, cause parts and labour was less than labour alone from a local shop. Needless to say I left the Buick there and drove home that day with a brand new GMC Sierra crew cab 4x4. So ya don't go to the dealer, it gets expensive, lol.

Lima Tango

Dec 4, 2011
I paid the ~$180 cost after 50% recall. It would have been cheaper to do it myself, but it was worth it to me at the time: I was coming and going a lot on trainings so all my free time was dedicated to my wife and boys. These days I have done a lot of repairs/maintenance myself because I haven't been out of town for six months. I'd recommend calling the dealership and making sure you're eligible for the 50% deal anyway, then deciding if you want to deal with the repair yourself.

And to answer your original question, I had the PCM4Less tune before getting this repaired and it wasn't affected. My understanding is it is a strictly mechanical fix, not a software issue, so the PCM is irrelevant.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher