Fuel leak top of tank, but where?

nopaybob

Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
Soon after I passed 250,000 a couple weeks ago my alternator took a crap now this...
A few days ago I began to smell gas when I got out of my tb I looked under my truck and noticed a very slow fuel drip off my tank.
To save money I ordered a new oem pump without a seal or fuel level sending unit, I plan on reusing mine.

I pumped out all my gas yesterday and then when I got home from work tonight I dropped my tank.
But I cant tell where it was leaking from. I really don't want to hook it all back up under the truck just to zero in on the leak.

Can I put some gas in the tank and supply power to the old pump with the tank out on the ground on the to see if I can find the leak?
Or ?

Attachments

• IMG_20150309_2053211.jpg
    IMG_20150309_2053211.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20150309_2053531.jpg
    IMG_20150309_2053531.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 33

AWD V8

Jan 12, 2015
Is the filler neck o the tank loose? It's a BIG problem! You should be VERY careful not to put any strain on it when you are working on the filler hose connection. I'd recommend leaving the hose on the tank, disconnect it at the filler pipe.

Can you SEE gas on the top of the tank?

The best method at this point would be a smoke machine. Even filling the tank with gas would only show a leak at or below the full level. If you have a hose or filling or valve leaking you can't find it without pressure in the tank. Only 1.5 psi is safe.

nopaybob

Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
I waited to long to pull my tank I guess, my pics shown were taken as soon as I pulled it out from under the truck. all that dirt on the tank has a strong gas odor but nothing was gooey or sopping wet.

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
I did that previously. I had tank on ground, stuck the hose that attaches to the filter into a buck and just turned the key to on and it would pump. just did that a few times and fixed the leak that i found.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
You may want to hose off all the dirt, and then replace the pump.

there was a recall on early versions in salty states, (somehow my Virginia did not count)

the tubes coming out of the pump corrode and leak.

you also could put it all back and wait for it to start pissing fuel all over the place.

your choice.

Kudos for being ahead of the game.

I smelled gas, and waited a week,

ended up having it towed to the local dealer, since it was full of fuel, and just before a planned vacation.

($1800 to drop the tank, replace the pump, with a filter and couple lines replaced as well)

nopaybob

Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
It was the rusted tubes, I went ahead and replaced the pump.
No more drip :thumbsup:

Reactions: Matt and Texan

Wishbone

Dec 5, 2011
A couple days ago I started smelling gas when I would stop the truck. Looked around, did not see any leaks.

Drove it yesterday, and it was just gushing gas out from the top of the tank. I figure it's the corroded fuel pump issue. So in between the rain today I'm going to drop the tank and check it out. I hate doing this kind of thing in the driveway but I watched MAY03LT's video and I've got plenty of confidence now. :thumbsup:

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
You can always have it towed to the dealer, they will do it for a couple grand.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Wishbone said:
A couple days ago I started smelling gas when I would stop the truck. Looked around, did not see any leaks.

Drove it yesterday, and it was just gushing gas out from the top of the tank. I figure it's the corroded fuel pump issue. So in between the rain today I'm going to drop the tank and check it out. I hate doing this kind of thing in the driveway but I watched MAY03LT's video and I've got plenty of confidence now. :thumbsup:
That sux Jay.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Mine was leaking through a pinhole in the metal elbow fitting under pump pressure, right at the top of the pump.

Wishbone

Dec 5, 2011
Wishbone said:

And we are back on the road today!

$189.00 for a new "Delphi FG0387 Fuel Pump Module" on Amazon :wooot:
and a couple evenings laying on my back in the driveway. :frown:

meerschm said:
You can always have it towed to the dealer, they will do it for a couple grand.
I would NEVER pay foolish money like that on something I can do myself... :tongue:

steveO

Apr 6, 2012
I have a similar issue which I assume is related to a leak somewhere at the top of the fuel pump.

I checked the entire system over without taking it down to be sure it was not something else... I could not find a leak anywhere.

The filler and the tank neck/ check valve are not at issue.
I crawled under it while it was being filled and there is no evidence of fuel leaking.
The odor is stronger when the tank is near full so I assume I'm in for a removal and replacement of the pump. I could not access the area where the pump is located. I was able to inspect from the fuel filter back to the area where the lines head up to the pump.

Is the locking ring reusable with a little clean up and paint or should I figure replacing it?

Replacement pump: Any suggestions as to a brand to use or stay away from

Thanks!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Locking ring should be reusable if it's not rusted out. Like most others (and me), the metal line is likely rusted through going into the pump. Haven't heard anything bad about ACDelco, Delphi or Bosch. Stay away from Dorman for anything electrical as well as cheap eBay knockoffs from China.

steveO

Apr 6, 2012
So the point of your leak was the metal line on the pump itself.
I will order the pump.
Thanks..

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Well don't take just our word as gospel. It could be something else like a broken plastic line or a connector leaking. Verify first or at least be sure you can return the pump if it's not that.

steveO

Apr 6, 2012
Well don't take just our word as gospel. It could be something else like a broken plastic line or a connector leaking. Verify first or at least be sure you can return the pump if it's not that.

I replaced it today. I had to replace the connectors to the pump. The rust got inside and they might have been ok but i wasn't going to trust them . The metal line had a small leak but the tubes were so rusted up that they snaped off with just a small amount of pressure.
Other issue I had was the front strap... the nut that is not accessible, rusted up and the keeper that holds it was weak and broke. I has to cut the strap and then cut the nut off.

So the parts I needed besides straps was the dorman strap fastener kit, the pump (bosch), the filter, 1 5/16 and 3/8 connector.

I cut the old connectors off and pressed on the new ones. There is enough line there and your only shortening it by about 3/4 inch.
The locking ring was real rusty and froze to the old pump, but it was still usable. Just banged the rust off gave it a little wire brush and paint and put it back in. The inside of the tank was suprisingly clean, so I didnt drain and clean it .
Not a bad job if it wasn't for the rust related issues.
Definitely need two people or a jack to reinstall it ... I used a jack.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175

Members Online