Fuel injector filter basket - 2004 4.2

W4UWC

Original poster
Nov 11, 2019
Nicholasville, KY
I've never replaced the filter basket in a fuel injector. Watched Youtube and saw them pop out using screws but this one seems stuck. Any tips on getting them out? I supposed I could pick at it and bend it and try to pull it out with long nosed pliers. Or screw it and put them back in as-is and hope for the best? The engine is being swapped and the plastic caps and o-rings needed to be replaced so thought I'd do the baskets at the same time. I don't want to really mess them up and have to pull the intake later.

Attachments

• IMG_9434[1].JPG
    IMG_9434[1].JPG
    388.2 KB · Views: 10

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
While inventing a completely "Off-The-Vehicle" Fuel Injector Cleaning Apparatus I called "The FrankInjector Machine" as '60dgrzbelow0' on another Forum (Google it for the many images online) I learned the procedures of EFI Disassembly, Ultrasonic Cleaning while Activating the Pintels (Pintles) and then Pressure Cleaning and Fluid Balancing them all at 3 BAR (43.5 PSI) on both the GM Multec-I and Multec-II Style Sets of EFIS:

The EZ part of this work was performing the R&R of the Filter Baskets and "O" Rings on both kinds of EFIs... You can do that part by simply (and carefully) Screwing in a Regular Sheet Metal Screw Into the Brass Ferrule at the mouths of the EFIs and pulling out the Old Basket Screens with a Pair of Pliers.

The Hard Part was later finding out that the Problems with most of the "Non-Performers" involved Damaged and/or Weak Coils as being the more significant issue. Within the last few years... The Chinese have copied and produced an Excellent Mimic of the Original $10,000.00 ASNU EFI Pressure Cleaning and Fluid Balancing System for only around $500.00. If you were intent on doing a whole array of EFI Cleanings...it might be worth investing in one.

The Price and Availability of the EFI Sets of (6) or more EFIs that have been re-conditioned Professionally on ASNU Machines is Low enough to warrant skipping the procedure you are about to attempt. Furthermore... The Basket Screens you have in that Kit look like they were sold for the GM 350 Engines using the Original Brown PTFE "O" Rings and Shorter Baskets meant for the Multech-I Style of EFIs vs. the BLUE "O" Rings meant for the Multech-II Series ...so you WILL be able to tap them into the mouths of the Multech-II EFIs... but they may NOT perform adequately afterwards due to a Reduction in the Flow of Gasoline through them:

IMG_9434[1].JPG

I will be the LAST Person to EVER discourage anyone from wanting to do Exploratory Automotive Repairs... But if your intent is NOT to Experiment but to get your Trailblazer or Envoy back on the Road ASAP... Check on Amazon and eBay for these Re-Conditioned sets of EFIs available at around $100.00. Best of Luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mektek

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
Dittos!
I was considering whether to go about replacing or repairing a single weak injector on my mother's lumina when I decided to shop fleabay. Set of 6 new injectors for $52. After spending hours tearing apart the engine to get to the fuel rails, why spend more time trying to repair old parts which may or may not be repairable?
Friendly Chinamen will help you with their new parts for very reasonable prices :yaay:

W4UWC

Original poster
Nov 11, 2019
Nicholasville, KY
Thanks guys. I don't give up easily! I was able to find the right size screw yank the metal ring out. I had been soaking it with PB blaster. The rest of the filter disintegrated so it could be blown out with air. I played around and made a homebrew injector cleaner. The injector sprayed so seems like it's good to go. Now to do the same for the other 5.

Attachments

• IMG_E9611[1].JPG
    IMG_E9611[1].JPG
    551.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_E9613[1].JPG
    IMG_E9613[1].JPG
    359.5 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: Beacon and mrrsm

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member