Fuel Gauge Problem For Me Now...

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
Wow! I know I've had problems with this truck but this is getting rediculous! I can't even get the repairs completed before something else fails! So last night I go for gas, I had 1/4 tank so I thought I'd fill it up since the price was so low :crazy: . I filled it right up and when I started the truck the Gauge went to Empty n light came on. I reset my Fuel Used on the DIC as I always do so I have an idea as to how much fuel is left in the tank. Then after couple minutes it goes right back to Full, and soon after right back to Empty with Light. The Gauge needle does drop to the stopper when ignition is shut off. So this morning it's still random Full-Empty-Full-Empty. But then the SES light came on. The Gauge actions don't appear similar to what Voymom had going on. Do you think mine is loose connection, if so where do I look?

Thanks.

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
Okay, wife took the Voy to work (60km). She reports the Fuel Gauge acted up at fist but a few km down the hiway and it went to Full and stayed there. It appears to be working properly now.

She also reports the check engine light still on. She noticed lots of water on ground under passenger side. Someone checked for her and confirmed its water and not coolant. I know you get water dripping when running the air, condensation I think. But what would make it excessive? Should I be concerned?

Would it cost me a lot to get one of those CODE readers so I can try to figure out what put the check engine light on?

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
Sounds like your fuel level sensor is pooched. A design flaw on our platforms assures us that everyone will eventually see this problem. Once all the little prongs on the sensor fall off, it'll just stop reading the tank at all.

You can pick up a new one on Ebay for under 40 bucks. Any reputable shop knows how to replace that. :cool:

Don't get stung by the stealership. :lipsrsealed:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Code readers can be had for $50, or even less if all you need is a bluetooth adapter and you have a smartphone to run an Android app. I consider one a mandatory tool to handle today's vehicles, since you don't want to pay a mechanic $50-90 every time to read a code, and parts stores may not always read them for free and tell you the exact code they see.

Go in with some buddies if $50 is steep. You don't need one every day, but surely you have friends you can share one with?

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
harmless said:
Sounds like your fuel level sensor is pooched. A design flaw on our platforms assures us that everyone will eventually see this problem. Once all the little prongs on the sensor fall off, it'll just stop reading the tank at all.

You can pick up a new one on Ebay for under 40 bucks. Any reputable shop knows how to replace that. :cool:

Don't get stung by the stealership. :lipsrsealed:

Thanks harmless! I'll get one now as I'm sure didn't fix itself this morning. Trust me I'm outa warranty now and can't afford the try this or try that or I think it is this but let's try this. I'm tired of that game already! It is hard for a guy like me to do my own work, lack of tools and stuff. It sure is nice to know all you guys/gals are here with such knowledge. :smile:

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
the roadie said:
Code readers can be had for $50, or even less if all you need is a bluetooth adapter and you have a smartphone to run an Android app. I consider one a mandatory tool to handle today's vehicles, since you don't want to pay a mechanic $50-90 every time to read a code, and parts stores may not always read them for free and tell you the exact code they see.

Go in with some buddies if $50 is steep. You don't need one every day, but surely you have friends you can share one with?

Thanks Roadie, I already got the multimeter and been watching you tube about how to use. I will buy the code reader because that is a nesessary tool as well. I'm looking forward to trying it out and see what's stored right now. Does it read old codes that may have went off when oil went to reservoir? I'm going to get one this afternoon...:thumbsup:

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Same problem I'm having too. It sounds like it's the floaty thing, or fuel level sensor. I will be changing mine this week along with the fuel filter and possibly the fuel pump. Although my SES light hasn't came on yet, but then again Phantom likes to turn these things into guessing games. I have only had the SES light come on for the CPAS...

I feel your frustration, trust me I do lol I had to bring the maintenance list ahead of the mod list as the maintenance list is MUCH longer now than before :crazy:

Denis7966

Dec 22, 2011
Denali n DOO said:
.... She noticed lots of water on ground under passenger side. Someone checked for her and confirmed its water and not coolant. I know you get water dripping when running the air, condensation I think. But what would make it excessive? Should I be concerned?

I remembered reading this thread not too long ago.

http://gmtnation.com/f23/something-leaking-passenger-floorboard-3559/?highlight=water

Hope this helps. Seems like a simple fix if that's the problem.

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
So after the return trip home my wife reports no more issues with the Fuel Gauge. I wonder if because I filled it up last last, right up the filler tube, that it cause the issue until some fuel is out of the tank? She would have used about 15L for todays round trip.

The engine light is still on. I'm going to get a code reader to find out why it's on.

The dripping of hot water seems excessive still. Denis7966 suggested a drain being plugged up. My pictures show the path of the drip. It comes from the black rubber drain on the firewall, located in the center of the pic. I also got a pic of how much hot water is coming outta there, enough to get to the back tire fast. Is this the drain that the other post refers too?
View attachment 21237

Attachments

• DSC02197.jpg
    DSC02197.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC02200.jpg
    DSC02200.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC02201.jpg
    DSC02201.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC02202.jpg
    DSC02202.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 7

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Denali n DOO said:
So after the return trip home my wife reports no more issues with the Fuel Gauge. I wonder if because I filled it up last last, right up the filler tube, that it cause the issue until some fuel is out of the tank? She would have used about 15L for todays round trip.

The engine light is still on. I'm going to get a code reader to find out why it's on.

The dripping of hot water seems excessive still. Denis7966 suggested a drain being plugged up. My pictures show the path of the drip. It comes from the black rubber drain on the firewall, located in the center of the pic. I also got a pic of how much hot water is coming outta there, enough to get to the back tire fast. Is this the drain that the other post refers too?
View attachment 7295View attachment 7296View attachment 7297View attachment 7298

Mine actually spits out more fluid(water) than yours or at least more than what your picture is showing. Mine also only does it with the A/C on. From what I was told this is normal for these trucks. I never tested whether or not the water was hot. And mine also appears to be coming out of the same spot, but not 100% sure as I couldn't get under it at the time.

Denis7966

Dec 22, 2011
Sorry Denali. I miss read your comment, I thought the water accumulation was on the INSIDE of the passenger side and not the OUTSIDE :duh:

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
Denis7966 said:
Sorry Denali. I miss read your comment, I thought the water accumulation was on the INSIDE of the passenger side and not the OUTSIDE :duh:

No sorrys needed here:thumbsup:! I believe that thread did say if the drain were plugged completely it would then leak to your passanger compartment. Maybe mine is plugged a bit and just holding some water back but not enough to leak in the truck. It almost makes sense because it did rain here over the weekend and it did rain a bit when she was at work today. But I still wonder if thats the drain the thread was refering too? And why it would be hot?

strat81

Dec 29, 2011
Yes, the black L-shaped drain in your second pic is the A/C condensate drain. It should pull right off the firewall. Make sure it isn't obstructed or you will end up with a puddle inside the front passenger footwell.

It is normal for the drain to drip quite a bit, especially in the warmer weather most parts of the country are now experiencing. After a rain storm, the amount of condensation generated will increase as the amount of humidity in the air is higher. The higher the outside temp, and the higher the outside humidity, the more condensation will be generated.

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
strat81 said:
Yes, the black L-shaped drain in your second pic is the A/C condensate drain. It should pull right off the firewall. Make sure it isn't obstructed or you will end up with a puddle inside the front passenger footwell.

It is normal for the drain to drip quite a bit, especially in the warmer weather most parts of the country are now experiencing. After a rain storm, the amount of condensation generated will increase as the amount of humidity in the air is higher. The higher the outside temp, and the higher the outside humidity, the more condensation will be generated.

I pulled that rubber boot off and poked into the tube with an 11" zip tie, nothing more came out so I guess it's functioning properly unless it's clogged beyond the 11" reach of the zip tie. It sure seemed like more water than I've noticed before.

Thanks for your help.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
The later models (with the newer/crappier floats) will turn on the check engine light when the sensor craps out. The code will be for fuel level sensor performance IIRC. The earlier models won't.

strat81

Dec 29, 2011
Denali n DOO said:
I pulled that rubber boot off and poked into the tube with an 11" zip tie, nothing more came out so I guess it's functioning properly unless it's clogged beyond the 11" reach of the zip tie. It sure seemed like more water than I've noticed before.

Thanks for your help.

Sounds like it's fine.

Generally, water on the ground is a non-issue. When it's some other fluid - gasoline, oil, transmission fluid, coolant, etc. - you should worry.

As for the fuel sensor, you can try a bottle or two of Techron (that is, one bottle per tank) to see if that will be a band-aid. It won't hurt anything, and it will at least clean your injectors.

BuckeyeEvan

Apr 1, 2012
Pretty funny and pretty sad. this morning I got in my e-mail from Amazon. "Amazon.com recommends "ACDelco SK1158 Fuel Level Sensor" " link to it
Pretty sad when Amazon knows that its a common failure part.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online