Fuel Filter?

JimInRadfordVA

Original poster
Feb 29, 2016
Radford, VA
As part of a general maintenance service, I was looking to replace the fuel filter. RockAuto shows 3 choices. When I check for local availability through Advance or O’Reilly’s they show n/a.

Anyone else have difficulty sourcing a fuel filter locally?

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Isn't it in the tank and non-replaceable?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
His profile says '05. Also saw that info in another thread of his.

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
Yeah, saw that later in another post, so that explains why he can't find a filter more easily. Would just be nice if that sort of info was up front on the profile when you click on the poster's user name, but that's a different topic.

So Jim, if you really want to swap that filter, you're going to have to go in and pull the pump/filter assembly out of the tank. Not sure that falls under general maintenance any more... :wink:

Cheers-

Chris

Reactions: Redbeard

JimInRadfordVA

Original poster
Feb 29, 2016
Radford, VA
As usual, there’s conflicting info out there, but I get the straight story here. Thanks again!

JimInRadfordVA

Original poster
Feb 29, 2016
Radford, VA
Prior to 05 they were on the frame rail. Then they were switched to in-tank filters. I can get the external for my 04 still at my local Advance Auto.

Really miss the old profile listing that actually had vehicle info. What year
is yours, Jim?

Good Luck!

Chris

Changed signature line to put vehicle info up front. Thanks for the heads-up.

Reactions: Mooseman

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
Perhaps I can weigh in on my opinion WHY GM changed from a replaceable to a non-replaceable fuel filter. In my opinion, fuel filter replacement is the second biggest consumer scam in automobiles today. (The first is nitrogen-filled tires.)

While we ALL have a tendency to tell people, "Replace the fuel filter" when diagnosing almost ANY problem, in a review of these forums as a member since the beginning, I have NEVER found a situation where replacing the fuel filter fixed anything. In fact, in all my years of owning and working on cars, I only found one situation in the last 45 years where replacing the fuel filter fixed the problem.

I think this is why they made it a non-replaceable item - fuel filters rarely need replacing today. In fact, with the history of GM fuel pump failures and how pumps are designed to wear out in 8 to 12 years in normal use, I would venture to say that if you replaced the filter at the same time you replace the pump, you'll be fine.

This is assuming you didn't get a load of bad gas. (Which is VERY rare today.)

There are so many unproven, bullshit, old-wives-tales and junk science out there that we need to be sure this forum provides GOOD and DOCUMENTED advice. In the absence of any specific symptoms of bad gas, I just wish we would stop replacing fuel filters as a possible solution and just keep to the regular maintenance schedules.

It is coincidence but I was just painting my brake callipers and rotor hat and trying to decide if I need to mask off the braking surface on the rotors. I saw SO many people just repeat what their fathers taught them without the hint of scientific evidence to back it up. I just sprayed the rotor hat, avoided the braking surface as much as possible but didn't mask a thing. Anyone who thinks a little bit of paint "contaminates" a brake pad has no clue how they actually work. I did one side at a time, rode the brakes for a minute to het them up and help cure the paint and then did hard stops to see if there was any difference side-to-side. There was none.

Chickenhawk - fighting old-wives-tales and junk science since 1955.

JimInRadfordVA

Original poster
Feb 29, 2016
Radford, VA
Thanks, Chickenhawk. GM doing something to save the customer money and keep the dealer from making a (several) buck(s)?

Say it ain’t so!:woohoo: :thankyou:

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
LOL! Or maybe GM got tired of warranty work returns when replacing the fuel filter didn't do a thing the first time round.

GM, like every other manufacturer on the face of the earth, knows full well that dealers pad their bottom line with unneeded maintenance and false "schedules." All they can do is publish the maintenance schedules in the owners manuals. If owners choose not to read them, it's not the manufacturers fault. It is up to us, on knowledgeable enthusiasts forums like this one to help educate people.

You should read what GM says about nitrogen-filled tires! This was a scam invented by the companies who supply this crap to garages. GM knows it's a scam. Dealers know it's a scam. Garages know it's a scam. Knowledgeable drivers know it's a scam. But all GM will say is that it won't hurt.

JimInRadfordVA

Original poster
Feb 29, 2016
Radford, VA
LOL! Or maybe GM got tired of warranty work returns when replacing the fuel filter didn't do a thing the first time round.

GM, like every other manufacturer on the face of the earth, knows full well that dealers pad their bottom line with unneeded maintenance and false "schedules." All they can do is publish the maintenance schedules in the owners manuals. If owners choose not to read them, it's not the manufacturers fault. It is up to us, on knowledgeable enthusiasts forums like this one to help educate people.

You should read what GM says about nitrogen-filled tires! This was a scam invented by the companies who supply this crap to garages. GM knows it's a scam. Dealers know it's a scam. Garages know it's a scam. Knowledgeable drivers know it's a scam. But all GM will say is that it won't hurt.

I'm thinking that with the improvement in fuel tank metallurgy, we see a lot fewer rusted tanks. In my younger days, rust was the #1 culprit in clogged fuel filters and we just don't see it any more. Maybe it's the ethanol blended in modern fuel that is absorbing what water used to be found at the bottom of the tank. Maybe it's angry pixies...who knows?

Shaw520

Sep 20, 2017
Northeast
I just replaced the fuel pump/filter in my 05' LS,...not because it failed, but because the vehicle had sat for over a year and without a serviceable fuel filter I thought for sure there would be contaminates in the tank/pump/filter,...it was a waste of time and money,...there was nothing in the internal filter, tank, or pump.....but i have a new pump now !

Reactions: Chickenhawk

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'm thinking that with the improvement in fuel tank metallurgy, we see a lot fewer rusted tanks.

So improved tanks are plastic now, LOL!. Dirt still gets in which would kill injectors. They probably just found a way to have a sock type filter that just cleans itself while immersed in the fuel. Just one less thing. There probably wasn't a lot of money in it. And returnless fuel systems might have played a role. Probably the fuel regulation is done within the tank.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I replaced the external filter in my '03 back in july, as the truck appeared to be still running the OEM one from when it was built. Preventative only, so add one more poster to say - probably fine to leave yours alone until such time as you have to service the fuel pump, since you have the in-tank filter.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
@Chickenhawk , even though I fully agree with you as far as fixing anything replacing the fuel filter, this video makes a good point on replacing them and how flow is affected.

So, for those with replaceable filters, they should be replaced as per schedule or if there is work done on the tank or pump.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I dropped my tank a couple weeks ago and it was actually nasty. The external filter is more of a water separator then a filter. The two times I dumped it yielded a half a teaspoon of water or so inside it. Gm dumped the external filter because it was cheaper to manufacture. I replace the fuel filter on my boat yearly. It's always clean but it'll save the one time there is water in it. Same thing with the big boat. But when injectors are 400 a pop on that you tend to be paranoid.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
...as far as fixing anything replacing the fuel filter, this video makes a good point on replacing them and how flow is affected.

That reminds me - I wish I had cut mine open. Kicking myself now. :Banghead::duh: :dunce:

Shaw520

Sep 20, 2017
Northeast
On newly acquired (used) vehicle, ive gotten myself into a habit of cutting open all filters,..just to get an idea of the previous maintance and hopefully some insight to the internal condition. I acquired my dmax with 197k miles on it,.. I did every fluid and filter change and cut open every filter,.. Trans filter was horrible,..gas and oil were as expected. I also recently cut open the trans filter on my 05 tb,..it was bad but judging by the silt i found in the pan i expected that,...prolly never been changed in 142k.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.