Fuel Filter, where is It?

pell

Original poster
Jun 5, 2017
Pelham, NH
Bought a filter for my TB to change out. Seen videos to change but cannot find mine under the truck. It is an 06. Is there a link to do this? Thanks

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
2006TBFFLOCATION.jpg

When time permits... Visit the Link provided by @Mooseman and Download a Complete OEM Digital Service manual...

Reactions: solubreone

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
In other words, there is no serviceable fuel filter.

Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
The serviceable / replaceable fuel filter is only on the earlier year models - I have a 2002 Olds Bravada and it ~does~ have a replaceable filter.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Must have been, from what research I did, 2002-2005.5 were serviceable, and 2005.5 and up are not (in tank).

Reactions: xavierny25

pell

Original poster
Jun 5, 2017
Pelham, NH
I thought my mechanic was nuts when he said it was in the tank. I googled it and it showed someone changing it thought I would do it. Couldn't find it so I asked him. Auto parts store sold me WIX 333129. Guess it goes on the shelf of shame. Any idea what would poor throttle response when starting from a stop? No codes.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
First thing everyone says is clean the throttle body.

Reactions: Redbeard
Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
First thing everyone says is clean the throttle body.
Absolutely. Disconnect battery, remove & clean throttlebody THOROUGHLY then reinstall. Reconnect battery. Truck will run a little crappy for a while but should improve in short order. Throttlebody cleaning is cheap and easy. If you're at, near, or over 100,000 miles without changing spark plugs - that's the next step. Use only ACDelco 41-103, ensuring they are genuine. While you're at it, if you haven't changed your air filter in a while, do so. Thankfully, there are no plug wires to change on a 4.2 although some do change all the coils. I only change ones that I've confirmed have gone bad. Good luck.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
And spray the cleaner on a cloth, not directly on the throttle body

Reactions: Redbeard and Matt

wstuckey1

Apr 11, 2018
Fenton MI
The serviceable / replaceable fuel filter is only on the earlier year models - I have a 2002 Olds Bravada and it ~does~ have a replaceable filter.
Where is the fuel filter on the earlier models? I have an 02 ext and want to replace it.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Where is the fuel filter on the earlier models? I have an 02 ext and want to replace it.

Driver's side frame rail, just in front of the fuel tank.

3filtlocate-jpg.3680

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
That wix looks like the one for 02-05. So if you have high mileage, you can change your fuel pump and filter at the same time. Or you can wait until it dies and then call a tow truck,

pell

Original poster
Jun 5, 2017
Pelham, NH
Had a similar issue with my (not of this platform) service truck. They called them "socks" on the inlet/pick-up, and they were plugged with fine black slit. Is there an actual filter on this pump? What is a good pump to buy as I only want to drop this tank once. Will do the fill neck ect. as read here they tend to be a problem. Any other advice on the tank drop? Thanks Greg

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Had a similar issue with my (not of this platform) service truck. They called them "socks" on the inlet/pick-up, and they were plugged with fine black slit. Is there an actual filter on this pump? What is a good pump to buy as I only want to drop this tank once. Will do the fill neck ect. as read here they tend to be a problem. Any other advice on the tank drop? Thanks Greg

Some pictures, may answer some of your questions.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online