FSA: Bugs on windshield

fletch09

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
FSA (Forum Service Advisory/Announcement)
For the last 3-1/2 yrs, I have been driving 36 miles to work, 18 miles of that have been thru farm land. So Spring, Summer and Fall, (in the Midwest) I deal with BUGS, nats, butterflies, grasshoppers and any other flying insect attacking my windshield. Also an occasional suicidal bird. The best solution I have found to clear my windshield of bugs,(in between washings) has been 0000 steel wool pad along with a glass cleaner.
(i use Sparkle, but any window cleaner should do) followed by a micro fiber towel.
if you try this method, I suggest (once used) keeping the steel wool in a plastic bag to prevent rust on the pad.
Hope this will be helpful to fellow members dealing w/ the same type of problem.

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
During the two separate Lovebug seasons down here in Florida (may and oct), many locals recommend using any brand of dryer sheet on the windshield and front bumper to remove the nasty gunk. It actually works quite well.

Love Bugs are no joke down here. Ask any seasoned Floridian.

Attachments

• 2020 Love Bugs.jpg
    2020 Love Bugs.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 26
Feb 29, 2016
Radford, VA
My issue is pine tree sap. My property is covered with pine trees and the cost to remove them is prohibitive.

• Sad
Reactions: mrrsm and Mooseman

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Alcohol Based "Hand Sanitizer" is supposed to remove Tree Sap from ANYTHING. For automotive use... it should not hurt the Finish...unless too much "Elbow Grease" winds up Grinding in the collected, trapped Dirt hidden inside of the Sap Globs. Might be worth a try... :>)

Feb 29, 2016
Radford, VA
Alcohol Based "Hand Sanitizer" is supposed to remove Tree Sap from ANYTHING. For automotive use... it should not hurt the Finish...unless too much "Elbow Grease" winds up Grinding in the collected, trapped Dirt hidden inside of the Sap Globs. Might be worth a try... :>)
Thanks. I’ll give it a try.

Reactions: mrrsm

Ilikemy3s

Dec 3, 2011
it seems that age, driving 80 miles round trip to work and other factors have seemed to fuse dirt particals to my windshield. No matter what carwash i use or cleaner or micro fiber towel or how hard i scrub, i cant seem to get it clean. It looks fine and clear, until i drive facing the sun eiither early dawn or early dusk and then i see all the still present contamination on the glass. Anyone else have this issue? How do you clean yours?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It could also be pitting. I know I see that in old original windshields.

Ilikemy3s

Dec 3, 2011
long ago on another vehicle back in the 80s, I used stuff called Bon-Ami the ad says, never scratch never will .l worked great .. just not sure if on the newer windshields if it would be ok. Also have seen people use a razor blade to slowly and carefully remove caked on grime

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online