FS: On Star Mirror w/ compass/auto-dim - $20 local. $25 shipped!!

Gordinho80

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
mirror_01.JPG

mirror_02.JPG

$35 shipped to lower 48

Dec 16, 2011
Gordinho80 said:
mirror_01.JPG

mirror_02.JPG

$35 shipped to lower 48

Forgive my ignorance, is the OnStar system actually in the mirror, and all one has to do is get it wired in, or is other hardware necessary somewhere in the vehicle?

Gordinho80

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
I believe there is a separate box under the rear seat. If you don't have On-Star, you don't have the box.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
I know a lot of the the 05s never got the auto dim option. I got one just like that on ebay with temp and compass. That's a good deal

Gordinho80

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
This mirror came out of a 2002 LT. I have never had it hooked up, but it was 100% functional when it was taken out. As there is no manual dimmer(tilt), I'm assuming it is Auto Dim. I also assume it is Compass display, possibly TEMP as well.

Its been sitting on my desk for months and I really would like to get it out of here. I can ship it today if PayPal is sent.

steven76

Mar 24, 2012
UMEXT said:
Forgive my ignorance, is the OnStar system actually in the mirror, and all one has to do is get it wired in, or is other hardware necessary somewhere in the vehicle?

If you don't have Onstar and you want to add it with the standard (integrated) setup, there is a substantial amount of wiring involved. You'd need to add the Module, a GPS antenna, a microphone, and tap it into the audio system. Probably isn't worth it. Has anyone on here actually done it?

Onstar is completely in the mirror only if you buy the new FVM device https://www.onstar.com/web/fmv/home/ It looks like the brought the price down a lot too. It was quite more pricey when they first released it.

But who wants Onstar anyways? It's a crappy service, if you ask me. If you get off course, Onstar has very limited ability to reroute you without you having to call back into the call center. Plus, there are many times that you will call in and wait 2 or3 minutes before getting a live person. I could give a whole list of reasons why I don't care for Onstar. I don't believe the service is anywhere worth the extremely high premium they charge for it.

Gordinho80 said:
This mirror came out of a 2002 LT. I have never had it hooked up, but it was 100% functional when it was taken out. As there is no manual dimmer(tilt), I'm assuming it is Auto Dim. I also assume it is Compass display, possibly TEMP as well.

Yes, the mirrors designed for Onstar have the auto-dim built in. There is no temperature display on these mirrors though, for the early models, at least. If you have the convenience package with the digital HVAC and the buttons on the steering wheel, then your exterior temperature is displayed on the HVAC controls. Additionally, if you have this package, then you also have the curb-assist side mirrors, which also have the auto-dim feature.

Attachments

• mirror.jpg
    mirror.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 11

Gary M

Jul 12, 2012
steven76 said:
Yes, the mirrors designed for Onstar have the auto-dim built in. There is no temperature display on these mirrors though, for the early models, at least. If you have the convenience package with the digital HVAC and the buttons on the steering wheel, then your exterior temperature is displayed on the HVAC controls. Additionally, if you have this package, then you also have the curb-assist side mirrors, which also have the auto-dim feature.

Hmmmmm.... My '05 SLT has Onstar, Nav, convenience package, digital HVAC, curb assist mirrors, etc (full load) but the rear-view is not auto-dimming (has manual lever) ... I wonder if a swap would give me the auto-dim feature?

Cheers!

Gary

Gordinho80

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
As long as there is power going to the mirror.... if the harness is the same, then it SHOULD work. If not, you could always splice in the harness I'm including... Shipping to Canada would be a little extra... but shouldn't be too much.

Bub

Nov 21, 2011
do you need additonal components for the compass and auto dim to work? I have an 05 with onstar would like the compass . . .

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Bub said:
do you need additonal components for the compass and auto dim to work? I have an 05 with onstar would like the compass . . .

No and no. Just plug in and go pretty much. Might have to calibrate the compass but that's it.

I'd jump on this if I had wiring at all but alas I have the basics of basic mirrors with no wiring whatsoever and have no desire to take down my headliner.

Gordinho80

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
You would probably have To use the harness I'm including if your harness does not have the wires for the compass and auto dim... No other components... Just install.

Will go out Monday if you Paypal this weekend.

Bub

Nov 21, 2011
pm'd thanks

Bub

Nov 21, 2011
Gordinho80 said:
Pending...

i sent ya a follow up pm, get me your paypal email address and i will send the money, i am on all night

Bub

Nov 21, 2011

Attachments

• ThreadLock.jpg
    ThreadLock.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 28

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher