Front Windshield Wipers Won't Shut Off

Pitch22

Original poster
Feb 3, 2015
Hey guys new to the forum. So yesterday we had some rain which then froze almost immediately and then snowed nearly two feet. I got in my TB to do some driving through the snow and right when I start it the wipers come on at a medium to fast pace. The switch won't turn them off nor does the switch change the wiper speed. I ended up just pulling the fuse under the rear seat to shut them off. I tried searching for this and didn't come up with anything. Let me know if I missed something. I'm assuming something got wet that shouldn't have or something froze? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
While the input is on the multifunction stalk, the actual logic that CONTROLS the wipers is actually on the wiper motor itself, under the cowl. It's actually fairly trivial to imagine something got in there, and that would be the first thing I'd look into.

Reactions: MAY03LT

Pitch22

Original poster
Feb 3, 2015
Thanks for the quick response. Is there any way I can check to make sure that is the problem? Or do I just have to swap out the motor and see if that fixes it? Also, say I keep the truck in a heated garage for a while and the moisture dries out, would it go back to working normally or does moisture ruin it for good?

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Good question on the moisture thing. I've heard tales of people dropping a phone in the toilet or something, then scavenging it out quickly and turning it off and letting it dry for a few days, and it turns out fine, etc. It'd probably be better to confirm it's the logic board before condemning the motor, Google the price of a wiper motor assembly and you'll see why :eek: ! Unless you have an easy avenue for swapping, say your buddy also owns a TB and you'd like a nice little Saturday project and enjoy some fellowship and beverages.

I haven't been into the wiper area myself so honestly, I'd say grab the manuals we offer here in the Technical Discussion area (it's pinned up-top) and arm yourself with disassembly knowledge before going in. I'd pull the motor and do a full inspection of it. Check the connector thoroughly, that's usually a suspicious place on any vehicle. I'm fairly certain it can be disassembled and the logic board checked over, but I myself have no knowledge on that, I believe there's been a person or two around here who's had one apart before who can tell you how to do it.

Reactions: Mounce

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Do you have the automatic wiper control?

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Mark20 said:
Do you have the automatic wiper control?
It's an LS, so there wasn't one offered.

The wiper motor is easy to pull apart. A couple of torx screws will open the cover once you've removed the unit from the truck.

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
I have done a repair before and have pics. Mine was doing the same thing and it was one of the spdt micro relays on the wiper motor. I replaced both of them and it has been working great. Unless you are very handy with a soldering iron it is better to just buy a used one on eBay.

Here are pics of the board and the 2 relays. If you want to try it I have more of the relays available.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1423079354003.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423079354003.jpg
    379.1 KB · Views: 8
  • uploadfromtaptalk1423079397499.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423079397499.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 10

Harpo

Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
There is a recall for this.

#04005 windshield wiper operation.
It's for 2002-2003.
Can't see what year your truck is on my phone.

Reactions: Denali n DOO

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
How in the wild world of mtv sports did I never run into this? Oh yeah, this thread built after 2013.

Google didn't index this I looked everywhere.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonu

Members Online