Front wheels crow hop in 2wd during sharp turns

Playsinsnow

Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
Title says it all.

Leaving a parking lot I turned the wheel all the way until it stopped/locked and while in motion I could feel a hop on the rotation as if I were in 4wd. I'm not.

I immediately begin a figure 8 test forward and backwards and it is noticeable on passenger wheel when steering wheel is turned all the way left. Same with the driver tire on right turns but not nearly half as much of a hop as the passenger side.

I rarely turn lock to lock with the steering and had a shop examine the front end a few weeks ago during an alignment. Nothing amiss, boots look good, no leaking anywhere.

Thoughts on what this is? It's subzero and will remain so no crawling under anytime soon... TIA!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I know you're a long-timer, but I still have to ask the usual questions. How many miles? How long since you've changed the diff and transfer case fluids?

If you raise either front wheel off the ground in 2HI, do they spin freely?

If they do, then I bet the alignment shop left your lower control arms loose, a wheel or both moved rearwards over time, and when you're turned sharply, they're hitting the frame or firewall or rubbing on the wheel well liner in a place where it's backed up by metal.

Playsinsnow

Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
the roadie said:
I know you're a long-timer, but I still have to ask the usual questions. How many miles? How long since you've changed the diff and transfer case fluids?

If you raise either front wheel off the ground in 2HI, do they spin freely?

If they do, then I bet the alignment shop left your lower control arms loose, a wheel or both moved rearwards over time, and when you're turned sharply, they're hitting the frame or firewall or rubbing on the wheel well liner in a place where it's backed up by metal.

Thanks Roadie
Sorry, I posted this from the parking lot once I noticed this happening almost constantly.

130,3xx some miles, <6k on both diffs (mobil1LS), and almost 40k now on the transfer case ( I have two bottles of AutotrakII ready to go, wanted to replace the plug as it is nasty, just haven't yet.)

Both wheels spin freely, the passenger easier than the driver side. I noticed some play at 9&3 and even hear/feel a little tap on the passenger side when pushing in at 9 o'clock :mad: The reason for the aligment was I ran a deer over at highway speed and wanted to ensure everything looked good from their standpoint. Thought they would mention loose tie rods???

I've suspected wearing arm bushings as my new struts and mounts did not cure the bump noise on a hard impacts. End links are tight too. Guess my $h!t is nearing the end of its life/lives? :frown:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online