Front Wheel Hub or CV Axle

rgoldberg

Original poster
Dec 13, 2011
I have a 04 EXT 4WD 212K miles with a 2.5" suspension lift and 1-1/2" Spacers. Been running 265/70-17 for the past 100K miles or so. New tires last week and I hear a bit noise while driving form driver front wheel. Hoping it is the tires, but at the shop this morning for an Alignment they noted the bearing was bad.

I went home and replaced the bearing, easy stuff less than an hour, but there is still some play in the wheel. Mostly when I push in I can feel maybe 1/4" and I can hear it click.

I noted the CV boot was leaking. I drive, daily, over 12 miles of crummy red clay road to include washouts, washboards, and occasionally when Im not paying attention I get a little air. Ok I am paying attention but WHOO!

Could the play noted be the Driver side CV Axle?
Easy enough and chap enough to replace.

any thoughts would be helpful.

thanks,

Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
If you truly have 1/4" of play in the wheel - something is seriously wrong with the bearing, wheel spacers, knuckle, or mounting of any of them.
It's more likely you have "thousandths" of play. Make sure every bolt is tightened to spec. Check wheel play without the spacers. CV could be completely shot, dunno - wheel play is a bearing thing.
You're saying "play" and push in and hear a click. Is the whole wheel moving inwards? I've always checked bearing wear by "wiggling" the wheel up and down. There should be nearly no play whatsoever. "Wiggling" side to side is usually considered an indication of tie-rod wear - but your chassis shop should've been on top of that. Up & down play can also be a sign of upper and or lower ball joint wear - cause for immediate replacement if that's what it is. Again, your chassis shop should've been all over that as well. Tie rod and ball joint failures are the "nightmare scenario" for a chassis shop.

rgoldberg

Original poster
Dec 13, 2011
If you truly have 1/4" of play in the wheel - something is seriously wrong with the bearing, wheel spacers, knuckle, or mounting of any of them.
It's more likely you have "thousandths" of play. Make sure every bolt is tightened to spec. Check wheel play without the spacers. CV could be completely shot, dunno - wheel play is a bearing thing.
You're saying "play" and push in and hear a click. Is the whole wheel moving inwards? I've always checked bearing wear by "wiggling" the wheel up and down. There should be nearly no play whatsoever. "Wiggling" side to side is usually considered an indication of tie-rod wear - but your chassis shop should've been on top of that. Up & down play can also be a sign of upper and or lower ball joint wear - cause for immediate replacement if that's what it is. Again, your chassis shop should've been all over that as well. Tie rod and ball joint failures are the "nightmare scenario" for a chassis shop.

you are right on! I went back pulled the wheel back off and the movement is coming from the upper ball joint. They have only been in for 45K miles and 3 years. Seems weak and sucks that I wasted 150$ on a new hub...Damn it!
I should have known better...

Thanks for making investigate before I went a bought a new CV axle, but the CV boot is cracked so I will probably replace it when I replace the Ball Joint.

Reactions: xavierny25
Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
And never go back to that chassis shop again.... That's a MAJOR no-no - they should've definitely caught that.

Reactions: xavierny25

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online