NEED HELP Front wheel bearing or CV?

GreenMachineTB

Original poster
Aug 13, 2020
Washington
Since i first got my TB there has been the horrid shearing sound from the front left wheel area. It sounds like it wpuld be a wheel bearing, but the guy i bought it from said it's the C.V. axle and I've never heard a C.V. make this noise. Does anybody have insight for me?

Chemman

Jul 13, 2013
Maryland
I would jack the front end up, place it on jack stands, and see how much play there is in the wheel. If it moves a lot when you go back and forth holding the wheel at the 9 and 3 positions, or in and out when you do the same at the 12 and 6 positions, then it appears your wheel hub assembly is bad. If no movement, then move onto the CV axle and see how much play is in it while trying to rotate the axle.

You could also remove the wheel and spin the wheel hub assembly and see if it makes scraping sounds or feels rough when you turn it.

Reactions: GreenMachineTB

GreenMachineTB

Original poster
Aug 13, 2020
Washington
I would jack the front end up, place it on jack stands, and see how much play there is in the wheel. If it moves a lot when you go back and forth holding the wheel at the 9 and 3 positions, or in and out when you do the same at the 12 and 6 positions, then it appears your wheel hub assembly is bad. If no movement, then move onto the CV axle and see how much play is in it while trying to rotate the axle.

You could also remove the wheel and spin the wheel hub assembly and see if it makes scraping sounds or feels rough when you turn it.
Thanks! I'll do that when i get home! I appreciate the help.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If you're getting a screeching kind of sound, it could be the dust shield rubbing on the brake rotor. Check those out as well. Most guys just remove them.

GreenMachineTB

Original poster
Aug 13, 2020
Washington
Alright so, i replaced the front hub and it's still making a shearing noise. What does the other side of the CV connect to? I think that's bad.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Depending on which side..

Passenger side, it goes into a disconnect, and then to the differential.
Drivers side, goes straight into the differential.

You can narrow it down, It does mean a bit of work, but could save you money in the long run.

Pull a CV axle out (passenger or driver), and insert a Gatorade cap (No I am not kidding) into the hole, and reassemble. Take it out for a drive and see if the noise is still present. The CV axle and end nut is NOT needed for bearing retention.

If it is, do the same thing on the other side. If it isnt, you have narrowed it down to the side at least, unless its in the differential itself.

Mirror

Jan 27, 2014
Or lift the whole vehicle up. Put it in 4hi and free spin the tires. Use a long bar or mechanics stethiscope and place it on the diff and the disco. See which one has the noise.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.