NEED HELP Front Turn Signal/Side Marker

crashwinkie098

Original poster
Nov 22, 2014
Blairsville PA
My passenger side turn signal and side marker light will not illuminate. Driver's side lights up, but neither side will flash. The indicator light on the dash flashes fast like I have a bulb burnt out on both sides. Rears lights all work fine, although they flash fast like I have a burnt out bulb. I changed out the passenger side bulbs thinking that they could be bad and the problem still persists. Anyone out there able to point me in the right direction? I don't have a multimeter otherwise I would be out there poking around to try and find the trouble area and I am still learning how to read diagrams.

Thanks for the help!

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
You did use the correct bulb right? Has to be dual filament. 3157 / 4157 / 3057 whatever it is the xx57 is always dual filament. A xx56 (ex. 3156) is single filament and will act like you stated.

Also, regular bulbs right, not led?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Making sure I have the details right:

Parking lights in the rear on both sides work.
Parking lights driver front works.
Parking lights passenger front does not work.

Turn signal blinks in the rear on both sides, but fast.
Turn signal does not blink on driver front, or passenger front.

Sounds like a harness problem to me, but I still cannot find my manuals and wiring diagrams to check for common connection points that could be failure points.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Time to start checking wiring with a digital multi-meter (DMM). Download the manuals from the link in my sig, it has detailed schematics.

Silly question, you did check the fuses? Sometimes the filament can short when it burns out and blow the fuse. Other than that, I'm thinking possibly a ground issue.

crashwinkie098

Original poster
Nov 22, 2014
Blairsville PA
Checked the fuses, they looked good but replaced them anyway. I've been staring at the wiring diagram for an hour and it makes my head spin. :smile: I will have to get a DMM and start poking around.

I'm still confused why the drivers side lights up but won't even flash. I cannot seem to find anything where the driver's and passenger side share anything that would cause this. Seems like two separate issues to me.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Sounds like a connector or wiring issue. Check the ground connections first as they are easiest by checking for ground at the light plug. Then, check that you are getting power at the fuses. With the turn signal on, power at the fuse should "flash". Parking lights should have steady power when on. After that, it's tracing the wiring from the fuse box to the bulbs.

I've attached diagrams of the wiring harnesses and ground connections.

Attachments

• Forward Lamp Harness.pdf
    327.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Forward Lamp Harness 2.pdf
    181.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Forward Lamp Harness front.pdf
    211.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Forward Lamp Harness right.pdf
    149.3 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: MAY03LT

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
Checked the fuses, they looked good but replaced them anyway. I've been staring at the wiring diagram for an hour and it makes my head spin. :smile: I will have to get a DMM and start poking around.

I'm still confused why the drivers side lights up but won't even flash. I cannot seem to find anything where the driver's and passenger side share anything that would cause this. Seems like two separate issues to me.

Thanks for the help everyone!
Just a suggestion: Use a "test light" also on your circuits. Many many moons ago I was tracing an electrical problem. My multi meter showed 12v yet there was not enough current to light a bulb! A gracious telephone repair man saw what I was doing. Kindly he shared "probably" what was not going on (voltage yet not enough juice to light up a bulb). This was more than 30 years ago and I am still very thankful for his advice.

redbeard

Reactions: Mooseman

crashwinkie098

Original poster
Nov 22, 2014
Blairsville PA
Thank you all for the advice. I went out tonight and I see that the bulbs on the passenger are magically working but the turn signals still do not work on either side in the front. I am going to Advance Auto tomorrow and borrowing the DMM and a buddy has a test light. I appreciate all the guidance!

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
The only thing that I'm seeing that separates the front signals from the rear signals, cluster signals, and mirror signals is where the signals pass through the front fuse block (moosemans manuals-wiring-figure-34).

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
Very simple issue on one of my prior cars is that the turn signal bulb connectors were dirty and simply needed to be cleaned. It does happen, periodically.

Reactions: Redbeard

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timmerk

Members Online