Front suspension questions (what to replace?)

Maverickxeo

Original poster
Jan 25, 2021
Alberta, Canada
My 04 Envoy SLT has about 290k KM on it. I have some service history, and it does NOT look like the suspension has EVER been touched, however, looking at the control arm bushings, they look to be in decent shape (no cracks, etc). I checked my ball joints, and both lower ball joints have substantial movement, however, the uppers have no movement (at least, I could not see any). I know for a fact the lower ball joints MUST be replaced, and although I could do them myself, I am not a fan of suspension work so I would most likely have my trusted shop do the work.

Basically, what should I have replaced? If the lowers are shot, the uppers should be too, right? If everything has to come off to change the joints, should I just replace the upper and lower control arms at the same time (even though I *think* the bushings are good)? Also, I was curious to know what the actual shop time is estimated at for the ball joint and control arm removal and replacement.

NJTB

Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
To check the lower control arm bushings, put a large screwdriver between the frame and the LCA, and gently pry outward. If they're bad, you'll see movement. Problem is, those bushings are in the bracket that bolts to the frame, and I've read on here that they're a bear to R&R.
I did this job in September, replaced the LCA with the plate that mounts to the frame, UCA, struts, and stabalizer links, bought everthing from Detroit Axle except the struts (used A/C delco).
Had to have it aligned 3 times before it was right.
Grease everything when putting it back together, mine squeaked.
With 290K, I'd replace everything.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Both my 02 TB and the Saab at around 230k km had worn upper and lower bushings. Check yours as @NJTB explained. If you replace the lower control arms, you also get new ball joints already installed and less labour so some savings there. It's also less labour if you replace the upper arms instead of just the bushings. Check all of your suspension and steering components. If you need struts, this is also the time to replace them.

Reactions: Maverickxeo

gemsheba

Apr 13, 2012
If you intend to keep it do as much as you can while you are in there, you will never have better time to do it. I have a pile of boxes in the garage ready to go for my 2006 Trailblazer SS with a 104,000 miles. Upper and lower control arms, upper ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, front and rear stabilizer drop links and bushings, rear BMR upper and lower control arms, Belltech front and rear shocks and new front shock mounts plus a gallon of Corroseal and tractor paint to finish it off. I'm finishing up switching in 4 rust free doors and tailgate plus a brand new hood coming back from the paint shop this week. Last fall was the front hubs and new brakes and rotors. I intend to keep this so I'm just doing all the suspension now and get it done.

Maverickxeo

Original poster
Jan 25, 2021
Alberta, Canada
Thanks for all the advice - I will speak with my mechanic on Monday to get him to replace the control arms and ball joints at minimum. I looked at the control arms and the bushings are pretty worn.

I don't know if I plan to keep this vehicle for long - I bought it as a work vehicle, but I don't know how long I will be using my vehicle for work. I just basically want it to be safe and sound for my clients.

That said, the vehicle I replaced with this Envoy was a 94 grand cherokee - I had that thing for 6 years and literally replaced the entire front and rear suspension, steering, front diff, swapped in a selectable transfer case, and did a major engine repair on that thing. I bought the vehicle for $600, but probably put $3000 into it (I did get $2400 for it though)! Back when I did the work I thought I would hang onto it for a while; but that clearly didn't happen, haha!

I should mention that I do like this Envoy (especially since it's virtually rust free - that was what 'killed' my grand cherokee), but I just I am hesistant to spend a ton of money on a 'work' vehicle.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online