Front struts what to buy?

SnowBlazer

Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
Hey y'all! When tax season rolls around, I'm going to have new shocks installed as my KYB ones are getting a little chatty. My question here is: what's going to be the easiest and most cost effective way of doing this? Should I get a whole new shock, coil, and mount assembly or just get coil and mount assembly? I'll probably take it by 4 Wheel parts as I don't talk to my buddy who put my lift kit on anymore.
Thanks guys!
Ryan

Reactions: Capote

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Might as well get all new hardware if you can do-so by finding a deal or something somewhere, that's my opinion

Reactions: SnowBlazer

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
So you are taking your lift off?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Why would you buy pre assembled then? Seems like a total waste. Just buy Bilstein HD struts and be done. Why do you think you need coils?

--Hope your 4WP is better than mine cause here they are worse than a dealership. Lying bastards that overcharge.

Reactions: xavierny25

Jul 24, 2012
Guessing these are shitty?
They don't get a lot of love, but that's what I put in my stock daily driver/fishing/camping rig.

I mean, the Bilsteins are arguably "better" -- I don't know how much better, but when I was taking input on those The Roadie probably put it best when he said the Monroe assembly is just fine "for my application" which isn't hardcore rock hopping.

I mean, I get out there when I go fishing, but I don't usually ever get completely off road.

I also don't know how/if the lift complicates things to the point that the Monroe is just completely out.

Super simple job with those, though.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
The monroes will be comparable to stock, which imo is on the soft/luxury side. The bilsteins will be more stiff and make it ride more like a truck. I like the HDs because they take out all the bounce but don't make the ride punishing. Some think it's too stiff, I say it's just right. The envoy has sensa tracks and it is softer but not bad. The sierra has bilsteins and 3500 springs and torsion keys and has a comfortable ride. It doesn't have the ride of an empty 2500hd since... it isn't an empty truck. You'll probably find with the lift that the monroes aren't going to be that much better than the worn shocks. Or I could be wrong. If you try it you'll know, but if you get the HDs I can guarantee they'll still be good when you sell it in a few weeks. Or not. :thumbsup:

Instrumental

Jan 29, 2012
How about the Moog quick strut on rock auto? I'm very tempted, new spring and mounts etc, for about a hundred bucks each shipped. My only hesitation is I don't know much about Moog shocks.

Jul 24, 2012
How about the Moog quick strut on rock auto? I'm very tempted, new spring and mounts etc, for about a hundred bucks each shipped. My only hesitation is I don't know much about Moog shocks.
The way things go, they are probably made by the same people that make the Monroe, then they just put a different label on it. I do know the Monroes have worked for me.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Reactions: SnowBlazer

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
Guessing these are shitty?

those are the ones i just put on mine. same part #. so far so good.
that is just a hell of a price. mine cost me 122.96/ea (mfg list in IL 169.99) from a family run auto parts store in my town. had i had time to research and compare and find those at that price, i would have bought them.:twocents:

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
How's the ride, like when you hit potholes and such? Right now, it sounds like a bomb went off whenever I hit a pothole.

ride has been good so far. no complaints. did you get longer shocks for the rear when you did the lift? w/o longer shocks in the rear you will get full extension on the rear shocks on bumps or potholes and it sound horrible. i had a certain spot at the local bank, whenever i went to thru the drive thru, i would get a horrible clunk in the rear because of a bump in the blacktop. so i finally got longer rear shocks, fixed the problem.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
A co-worker has an '09 TB. He had all shocks replaced a couple of years ago and about a month ago he said he felt like he was getting shook out of his truck when he hit a bump. Both of his front cartridges were blown.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
@littleblazer is it true that the Bilsteins give 1" of lift over OEM? Thought I saw that somewhere...
Not that much, at first it did because my springs were decompressed for a day. I sit about a quarter inch higher maybe. The mount for the bolt on the lower front shocks and rears are in a different location... slightly lower. Atleast on mine. Results may vary, it shouldn't effect the rear since they don't effect the rest height of the springs.

SnowBlazer

Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
Not that much, at first it did because my springs were decompressed for a day. I sit about a quarter inch higher maybe. The mount for the bolt on the lower front shocks and rears are in a different location... slightly lower. Atleast on mine. Results may vary, it shouldn't effect the rear since they don't effect the rest height of the springs.
I hit TXBlazer up for his z71 set up for the rear, still trying to decide on the Monroe or Bilstein.

AzTruckGuy

Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
So Im going to do a coil/shock change. What are your thoughts on the Elibach kit with Monroe sensa tracs? Ive read reveiwes and they seem a lot better then the belltechs. I am looking more for a comfortable luxury ride versus a stiff truck ride. I wont be doing any 4x4 and all street driving

Gerbil21

May 28, 2014
I hit TXBlazer up for his z71 set up for the rear, still trying to decide on the Monroe or Bilstein.

I have a pair of barley used z71 springs $65 plus shipping

Gerbil21

May 28, 2014
Do you have the shocks to go with?
No just the springs I was using regular AutoZone tahoe shocks at the time.

Just a sidenote if you didn't already know you will need washers for the lower shock bolts

SnowBlazer

Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
No just the springs I was using regular AutoZone tahoe shocks at the time.

Just a sidenote if you didn't already know you will need washers for the lower shock bolts
I know, I'll bring the shocks to Ace and toy around when I get them. Do you have the tahoe shocks? I'd like to buy them as a set before I get side tracked by other things. :smile:

Gerbil21

May 28, 2014
I know, I'll bring the shocks to Ace and toy around when I get them. Do you have the tahoe shocks? I'd like to buy them as a set before I get side tracked by other things. :smile:

no i returned them a while ago been running regular trailvoy shocks since

also on a side note are you still interested in the rockauto credit?

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
IIRC correctly they are 7/16" body washers with 10 on each shock. I did the write up on ORTB.

Reactions: littleblazer

BoomersTB

Jan 16, 2016
Washington
Does anyone know the part# for the longer rear HD bilstein shocks? I am buying Mark's 3 inch leveling kit, and I have searched but only find the OE shock replacement.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I think you just use the full sized shock with washers on the mount. Not entirely sure though.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I will try to find it, I think I did it inside the search for different rear shocks. Kyle started it and I did some further research and got the Skyjackers and igured out the spacing.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas

BoomersTB

Jan 16, 2016
Washington
Has anyone done Pic's or a video on how to install Marks leveling kit? I know mark has instructions, but just a few things unclear to me, and yes I have been looking/searching for any I could find. Just wanted to see how someone eles has gone through the process. Thanks for any assistance...
I have also tried looking in OffRoad TB, but still wont give me access. I registered 2 or 3 months ago so not sure if admin is still accepting people?

SnowBlazer

Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
Has anyone done Pic's or a video on how to install Marks leveling kit? I know mark has instructions, but just a few things unclear to me, and yes I have been looking/searching for any I could find. Just wanted to see how someone eles has gone through the process. Thanks for any assistance...
I have also tried looking in OffRoad TB, but still wont give me access. I registered 2 or 3 months ago so not sure if admin is still accepting people?

I had a difficult time with Mark's instructions since he doesn't enclose an exploded stack up. I also got confused and threw away the wrong washers. I got with @Sparky and he created this bad ass pic yesterday...
GMT360 lifted strut assembly_zps5nxxbm7l.png

Reactions: BoomersTB

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
You registered a while ago... You should be able to login now, if not do a password reset. I just fixed your account.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigboylove