Front Strut Questions

pmsmith2032

Original poster
Jan 6, 2014
Chicago
I need to replace the front struts on my 2005 Envoy SLT. This truck is going to be given to my daughter so it doesn't need anything heavy duty. Would the MOOG ST8564 Problem Solver be my best option for ease of installation and price? Do I need to order anything besides the struts (the Envoy has 144k on it and the struts have never been replaced). Thanks!

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I wonder who Moog uses for the shock portion of that. I doubt they make that. Wonder if it is Monroe or similar...

Plan on new sway bar end links. Doubt you'll get the old ones off in one piece.

pmsmith2032

Original poster
Jan 6, 2014
Chicago
Thanks Sparky. I'm going to have the rack and pinion replaced (leaking) but I'm going to let the mechanic tackle that I think. I figured I'd replace the struts myself and save some $. Anything besides the struts and sway bar links I need (placing an order today)? Any specific brand for the sway bar links? ACDELCO 46G0468A/46G0467A Advantage from Rockauto ok?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
They're all a bit of a crapshoot as to how long they last it seems, so yeah why not. I tend to prefer the ones that use a hex vs the dumb allen key in the end setup for tightening, as that lets me get the leverage I need to crank them as tight as they have to be.

Reactions: Capote and Tiggerr

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Moog seem to be the brand of choice around here... thats what I have... they also have the hex design to hold them while tightening...

For the struts I've had good luck with the Monroe quick struts...
They'll ride soft and cushy like OEM

I'd check the BJ's while you're at it..cant remember if you can do the strut without separating the upper....

Last edited:
Reactions: Capote

Iahawkeye

Jan 24, 2012
Would the MOOG ST8564 Problem Solver be my best option for ease of installation and price?

I put this on my envoy last month. i bought them from Amazon for $110(?) each. Putting them on was pretty easy and the ride is softer then the bilsteins i had on before them. But the orginal struts had 250,000 miles and the springs felt soft so i replaced them with the moogs. Bottom line - i like them.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
I'd check the BJ's while you're at it..cant remember if you can do the strut without separating the upper....

You have to drop the upper BJ out of the upper control arm but they don't need to come out/off of the vehicle to do the replacement of the shock or cartridge.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online

No members online now.