Front Strut Question

psa55

Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
New Brunwick, Canada
Hi All,

I've read lots of the Strut threads and there is a ton of great info. I've got a couple simple questions... mine are due to be replaced, probably long ago (225 000 kms). I drive a reasonable amount of dirt roads fishing and hunting 6 months of the year, but nothing too crazy... usually old logging roads. SUV is not our primary family driver anymore and sees about 8-10 000 Kms a year, most of which is my short commute to work and running the kids around the city to there activities.

I am leaning towards the Monroe Quick Struts, although the Bilsteins certainly have there approvals on here too. If I decided on the Bilsteins, I have read I'll need a Strut Mount Kit. But, can I reuse the factory springs or will I need new there too? Anything else I would need?

In the end, it will probably come down to price differential between what each require/cost.. Replacement seems pretty simple which I think I'll do myself. I've got a spring compressor that is 15 yrs old, given to me, but has never been used, if I go the Bilstein route.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Springs can be reused barring any damage or broken coil. They are very strong and don`t weaken so much that they have to be replaced. You will likely need new mounts like I did when I installed Bilsteins on the '02 as they were thrashed.

I had Bilsteins on the '02 and was very happy with them. So much so that I am keeping them for my '07 when they will eventually need to be replaced.

Reactions: gmcman and psa55

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
It also depends on the ride you are looking for and how easy you want to make the installation. When my front shocks were starting to get worn and harsh, I decided to switch to the Monroe Quickstrut assembly. Installation was fairly simple and straightforward and after two weeks to break in the new shocks, I am loving the ride. It is very controlled and really absorbs our potholes and wavy pavement roads much better. I also travel some northern Manitoba roads and it does a very nice job too. It really took out the harshness in the front. While lots of folks describe the Monroes as "softer" and much more like the factory ride than the Bilsteins, I still remember my factory shocks that were changed within a week of getting the truck. The Monroes are softer and more comfortable, but MUCH more controlled than the factory shocks, especially on broken pavement.

Ride is very subjective, but my front Rancho RSX shocks (similar to the Monroe Reflex) were great when new but I was a bit younger and was looking for a bit of a stiffer ride. But they got harsh when they aged and I just wanted a smoother (but still controlled ride) as I got older. This is why i went Monroe instead of Bilstein.

Reactions: psa55

psa55

Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
New Brunwick, Canada
Great info Chickenhawk and Mooseman! Thanks! Our primary (wifes) driver is a T4R and it has a noticebly stiffer and less comfortable suspension... Something I'll have to consider with the Bilsteins I think. Guess I'll have to decide in the next week or two, after shopping around and watching prices move up and down on Amazon!

Appreciate the info guys!

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
I have Bilsteins front and rear on my EXT and I don't consider them harsh at all after getting new tires. I wasn't sure what it was - I half thought it was the shocks - until I got my new tires on about 3 weeks ago. These new tires (Kumho Crugen HT51) do a really good job of softening road joints, cracks and small heaves here in MI. My snow tires (General Altimax Artic) for being as soft and grippy as they are ride fairly harsh. The General Grabber HTSs that were my summer tires were about the same so I didn't notice any major difference when switching. But the new tires really brought it out.

All that said, the Bilsteins dampen and control movement just fine for my style of driving, which is fairly spirited city/paved roads and the VERY occasional dirt road or two-track. I felt the price for amount of effort I had to expend was well worth it.

Reactions: psa55

coolride

Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
Lately I've notice that I feel every little bump in the road. Even those highway expansion joints feel overly harsh. Is this a shock failure?

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
Shocks or tires. If you haven't changed tires recently (and I have ridden on some VERY harsh and noisy tires over the years) then I would suggest shocks. I noticed on my Rancho front shocks that they got harsh as they aged, even though they were still working properly.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online