Front Spring Question

aaserv

Original poster
Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
I found this set of shocks and springs at a reasonable price. But they have a 3" lift that Im not particularly interested in. The set up is only 3 years old and for the price I could use just the shocks and be fine.
Question I have is these are Moog springs (I think)....Would these springs have been made to use with the 3" lift or are they standard springs that are just compressed? I guess what Im asking is can I just take the 3" lift blocks off of this setup and use the just the shocks and springs or would i need to use my springs instead?107662477_3098252886895059_6881023357339009920_o.jpg107662477_3098252886895059_6881023357339009920_o.jpg

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The springs are being compressed by the lift blocks. You can take the blocks out, just take precautions compressing the springs to remove them.

Reactions: mrrsm

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
@aaserv those seem to be compressed by the blocks as @Blckshdw said. I'd take them to a shop and have them remove it since there is like little to no room to get a set of spring compressors in there to do it yourself.

I had a hard enough time getting these in with a harbor freight set of spring compressors.
20190503_170923.jpg

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
If I remember rightly, they're 81114 springs, so "I think" they're stiffer than most. If you were running an MDB bumper, they'd be great.

aaserv

Original poster
Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
Think Im going to pass on them altogether. I can get a brand new set of Bilsteins for around the same price but without new springs. Im willing to go with my original springs. Do have 1 other question though.
When looking at replacing the strut mounts I see them on Rock auto. All but 1 of them say all the parts but without bearing. 1 says it comes with the bearing....I dont see a bearing....anybody know what they are calling the bearing??? Looking at the pics of both I dont see a difference ...

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
Think Im going to pass on them altogether. I can get a brand new set of Bilsteins for around the same price but without new springs. Im willing to go with my original springs. Do have 1 other question though.
When looking at replacing the strut mounts I see them on Rock auto. All but 1 of them say all the parts but without bearing. 1 says it comes with the bearing....I dont see a bearing....anybody know what they are calling the bearing??? Looking at the pics of both I dont see a difference ...
no bearing on the struts. some cars have bearings on the struts, ours do not.

aaserv

Original poster
Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
Thats what I thought but having never actually been into them I wasnt positive. Went ahead and ordered the new bilsteins and went with the Monroe (cheap chinese) strut mounts...will save me about 40 bucks which i can use to pay me buddies shop to change the shocks...just dont want to fool with the springs myself. Id rather have them do it and save any trouble.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Think Im going to pass on them altogether. I can get a brand new set of Bilsteins for around the same price but without new springs. Im willing to go with my original springs.

I think you will be fine for now, those springs should have a fair bit of life left, we were going on the notion you wanted to change them. However, if you plan on keeping the vehicle for a long time, better to source the springs now so they are not NLA down the road.

I would mark one with a zip tie or something so you know which side is which.

aaserv

Original poster
Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
"I would mark one with a zip tie or something so you know which side is which."
Thanks Buddy, never would have crossed my mind.....
Im still hopeful that 1 of these days their going to haul an Envoy into my local yard with a fairly new set of shocks and springs on them...But so far Id say well over 90% of the 1's Ive ckd still had original shocks front and rear. Ive seen a few rear that had been changed but none worth keeping, Monroes and other junk. Ive seen exactly 1 that had the front changed and it was junk brand also. I dont have anyway of telling a 17 yr old Bilstein from a 10 or even 5 yr old except by how new they look. I look for new strut mounts, etc that might be a clue. But 1 of these days !!

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Last edited:
Reactions: xavierny25

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
What's the shipping like to the US because to Canuck Land, it's $218!

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
"...Something LIKE this,,," was the suggestion... Perhaps HF has this in their On Line Catalog...

Reactions: Mooseman

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Bingo... Just found the SAME one offered on AliExpress for $151.00 with FREE S&H here on Amazon...

(DAMMIT... NOW I WANT ONE!) Because all of the others can only handle between 1-2.5 Tons of Compression Power ...and the BIG Coils on the SUVs can't be compressed inside those and because THIS is the Safest Design I've ever seen for doing this Dangerous, Damned Job):
AMAZONCOILSPRINGCOMPRESSOR.jpgAMAZONCOILSPRINGCOMPRESSOR1.jpgAMAZONCOILSPRINGCOMPRESSOR2.jpgAMAZONCOILSPRINGCOMPRESSOR3.jpg

Attachments

• AMAZONCOILSPRINGCOMPRESSOR4.jpg
    AMAZONCOILSPRINGCOMPRESSOR4.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Mooseman

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
Bingo... Just found the SAME one offered on AliExpress for $151.00 with FREE S&H here on Amazon...

(DAMMIT... NOW I WANT ONE!) Because all of the others can only handle between 1-2.5 Tons of Compression Power ...and the BIG Coils on the SUVs can't be compressed inside those and because THIS is the Safest Design I've ever seen for doing this Dangerous, Damned Job):
View attachment 95394View attachment 95395View attachment 95396View attachment 95397
Nope... still don't trust them, i'll stick to the tried and true rental junk... check this out..

Paul Faure
7 months ago
OMG....I received the tool today and it was a near death experience, I compressed the old spring removed the shock, no problem, went to put the new shock, compressed the new spring, thank god I was on a kneeling position, pushing the lever by hand when I heard the LOUD explosion like sound and felt my heart in my throat.......the top holder broke off, see pics on link:https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DFnHuda8H5kOmUgdLu0KCNV8ewIf_NJQ

Many other reviews on amazon with the same experience...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Still a bit spendy ( I found it on Amazon.ca for CAD$225, which is $20 more than conversion rate from $151USD). And with @coolasice 's info above and reviews on Amazon, I would trust this less than the old style hook and screw, which I have used in the past with no issues. You can always take them to a shop and have them do it with the real professional hydraulic compressors. Also one of the reasons that the Quick-Struts are so popular.

aaserv

Original poster
Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
Yea Ive seen how easy (and safe) it is when they do it at a shop with the hydraulic press it just seems well worth it to let them do it. When do it yourself starts skirting the line with killing yourself its a no brainer for me...

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I cannot attest to the accuracy of this, but I remember hearing that the GM dealers replaced their coil spring compressors at the launch of the GMT 360 platform because of the higher loads of the front coil springs.

I just swapped mine using a rental tool from Advanced and it was a sweaty palm event.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online