Front seat replacement question

usmc

Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
I have an '04 TB EXT V8. The front leather seats are showing some wear and I was able to locate a matching set in very good condition. Here's the issue I noticed once I unloaded them after returning home. The replacements have the side air bags built into the seats & our seats do not. What issues will I have if I install the new ones? BTW, the replacements are also from an '04 TB. Do I need to disconnect the battery to remove & install?

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
usmc said:
I have an '04 TB EXT V8. The front leather seats are showing some wear and I was able to locate a matching set in very good condition. Here's the issue I noticed once I unloaded them after returning home. The replacements have the side air bags built into the seats & our seats do not. What issues will I have if I install the new ones? BTW, the replacements are also from an '04 TB. Do I need to disconnect the battery to remove & install?

The Air Bags are a separate plug (Yellow), and if your current vehicle doesn't have the airbags the chances are you just wont be plugging that yellow plug in. As far as disconnecting the battery, I have had my seats in and out a few times without disconnecting and have had no issues. Good Luck

usmc

Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
Thanks for the info; I was afraid that when you disconnect the electrical that it might set a SIR code.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Are the airbags really there or is it a dumby plate where the airbags would be? Someone else recently posted this similar question and while it looked like it had airbags, it was just a plastic plate. Not that it really matters in your case.

usmc

Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
Just said:
Are the airbags really there or is it a dummy plate where the airbags would be? Someone else recently posted this similar question and while it looked like it had airbags, it was just a plastic plate. Not that it really matters in your case.

Yes, i know what you're talking about, as the original seats in the TB have that "Dummy" plug/plate. I never noticed it until I looked closer at the new seats and saw that they had "air bag" molded into these plates. I think it would be a PIA to try and remove them. I'll look at the plugs on the original seats & see if there's a yellow (SIR) under it the seat or not. I'll also look at the underside of the new seats & see what plugs are there.
I was more interested in tripping a SIR code if I removed the seats. I know in some of my Bimmers, they will trip the SIR code if this is done with the battery connected, so I know to disconnect the neg. terminal when working on these items. If you trip on of those, you need to get a SIR code reset device or take it to the stealer to get it reset, for a modest $100.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online