Front lower control arm differences

Paul Bell

Original poster
Aug 16, 2014
I'm ramping up to do a front end replacement. Upper & lower control arms, hubs, brakes, etc. I'm seeing the front lower control arms are different from up to like 2004 to after.

Does anybody know what the difference is?
41TVJ8W7yiL_zpsbjyfpkeb.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Sway bar links changed in 08 I believe.

Dont know of 04 change though

Paul Bell

Original poster
Aug 16, 2014
These are all for the lower left arms. Three different parts.

I'm just wondering what's the difference, did they improve in the later years?
ra1_zpsq9cj80bc.jpg

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
The_Roadie said:
Anti-sway bar links were a rogue design in 2002-03 also.
They were? What's different about them?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
The anti-sway bar is a different diameter and is attached to the frame differently. My offroad wingman for many years (Teebes) has a 2002, and that year also had the wussy steering rack threads on the tie rod ends, and that also made the steering knuckle unique.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
The_Roadie said:
The anti-sway bar is a different diameter and is attached to the frame differently. My offroad wingman for many years (Teebes) has a 2002, and that year also had the wussy steering rack threads on the tie rod ends, and that also made the steering knuckle unique.
Hm, I did not know that. Interesting.

The 14mm vs 16mm tie rods? His must have been an earlier one, my 02 has the 16mm rods like the rest.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
If I do new lowers I would switch to the 08 style and make another set of sway bar links.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Actually just pulled the trigger on new lower arms this morning. Got the Moog for the 08-09 for about half the cost of the ones for the earlier years.

FYI: I found Summit Racing to have the best shipped price.

Will report back if there are any issues other than making a new set of sway links.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
That's going to be an interesting set since they changed the sway bar in 08 also (hole vertical vs horizontal). I want to see what you come up with :biggrin:

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Should honestly be simpler. I built the current with heims and all-thread. Figure the top mount stays the same and the use nuts washers and some bushings through the lower hole. Should have plenty of materials around from over the years to make something work, or I can go sans sway bar again til I figure it out.

Paul Bell

Original poster
Aug 16, 2014
OK folks, I started this thread to see if anybody knew the differences between the three arms. I see by what's been posted the sway bar linkage is different.

Anybody know the details about the arms?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
It is how the linkage mounts to the arms. 08-09 have just a vertical hole, the rest have a tab with a horizontal hole (and apparently that tab angle changed in 04).

Paul Bell

Original poster
Aug 16, 2014
I see, thanks.

I just wanted to make sure the later versions weren't "better" in some way.

I don't wanna fool with changing things around so the first (most expensive) version is what I'll be using.

Hardtrailz is right, Summit seems to have the best numbers.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Will have 06 vs 08 side by side soon to double check for other differences.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online