Front hub part numbers

cthudak

Original poster
Apr 29, 2012
Hi guys,
I have a 2006 trailblazer ext ls 4 wd. I am planning on changing out the from hub / bearing assemblies. My question is, both Rock Auto and the Timken catalog seem to list only one part number regardless if the truck is rear wheel drive of 4 wd. what's confusing is Napa lists 2 options, one is twice as expensive. Has anyone else done any research on this?
Thanks for the help,

Tom

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Which NAPA is more expensive? Same brand?

Some vendors charge extra for 2WD hubs because they don't have the extra mechanical assist of the CV shaft's threaded outer section holding the two halves together. Michigan Bearing is one of these vendors. OEM and TImken and many other vendors make all of them strong enough for 2WD use where there is nothing in the center of the hub, so they're extra strong for 4WD applications.

2WD Trailblazer SS trucks give their front hubs an assist by installing a mini-threaded stub in their hubs. I figure this is just because SS drivers are more spirited and pull more G's in turns and GM must have seen a bug fal apart in testing.

2WD trucks other than the SS never used these stubs.

cthudak

Original poster
Apr 29, 2012
hi Roadie,
thanks for getting back to me so fast. The cheaper napa unit is PBR930470. The costlier one is BR930470....twice the price. The confusing thing is the second one has a Note in the description stating it's for four wheel drive. Maybe they both can be used , like you explained, and the costlier unit is just a higher quality unit?

Thanks again, you've helped me out of a few jams over the years on the old trailvoy site

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86