Front Hub Greaser

Mektek

Original poster
May 2, 2017
FL
Has anyone tried the wheel bearing hub greaser attachment sold on ebay? It appears to fit in the abs sensor hole to inject grease using a grease gun.
I'm not sure it's a good idea to fill up the reluctor wheel with grease, but maybe it's OK....

SnowBlazer

Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I don't think the sensor is that easily accessible to be able to get the sensor out. And even so, these are sealed units. Where is this extra grease supposed to go? I have never seen grease seep out of these anywhere so if it's completely filled, where is it supposed to go? If it expands when heated, something's gotta give. The seal? the sensor?

It's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Mektek

Original poster
May 2, 2017
FL
Snowblazer's link is correct. The ABS sensor comes out by removing a single allen head bolt. I see a metal shield over the inner bearing and grease is seeping out around it. I'll try to pry the shield off to see what's inside and experiment on the old hub to see what happens when grease is injected through the hole.
If there's no rubber seal around the inner bearing, then the hub is not watertight and driving in deep water up to the axles will get water into the bearings and eventually ruin them.
So it looks like nobody has actually tried this greaser gizmo.......

Update: I have removed the sensor and inner bearing shield and seal. The ABS sensor hole does provide access to both inner and outer bearings so the greaser idea should work. Even inserting a grease needle on each side of the reluctor wheel and spinning the hub while greasing might do the job too. Any excess grease would be pushed out past the seals while running. My 225k mi hub had little grease on the inner ball bearing. Would more fresh grease added a year ago have prevented its failure? Maybe........

Here's another ideal: pour some gear oil into a small bottle or syringe with a thin tube attached. Pump a few ccs of oil on each side of the reluctor wheel. That should bathe the bearings in lubricant and make them last longer.

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online