Front End Work Both Sides

Jkb242

Original poster
May 19, 2019
CLT
I have a quote to replace the upper and lower both sides as well as sway bar bushings. I knew I had at least one side that was loose but the inspection showed both sides were worn badly.

The quote I have is for $1665.00 including parts and labor and alignment. That seems a little high but wanted to ask for input first before going with another paying for another quote.

It’s a 2006 Denali with 160k miles. I’ll need to replace one of the aftermarket Cats as well for about $240, but that beats attempting to locate a good replacement I think. Comments please!

Thanks!

• Wow
Reactions: Beacon

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
If that quote is too high, do you plan on doing it yourself or getting a quote from another shop?
Is that quote for aftermarket parts or OEM parts?

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Does the quote include dinner and a movie cause that's a farking.

Reactions: Reprise

Jkb242

Original poster
May 19, 2019
CLT
Did that quote include the struts?
No

Does the quote include dinner and a movie cause that's a farking.
Thanks Matt, it seemed high to me but never having this much work done before, just needed input. Much thanks!

If that quote is too high, do you plan on doing it yourself or getting a quote from another shop?
Thanks for your reply, I wish I could do it myself or had the workspace to do this. We have a two car garage but it’s two doors not one so I don’t have full access to both sides of the car. I’ll have to have this done by a shop unfortunately.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
That shop it certainly waiting to spread the lube on you. Thats about 100-150 in parts... So 1500 in labor? Its not a 15 hour job (@100 an hour).

If you lived close, I would offer my garage and tools. I have the same type of garage, and have plenty of access to both sides. Your house must have been built sometime after 1995 (thats about the time garages started getting smaller).

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Or one of the old garages from pre-80s when they were only to fit a car car and not have extra area like most newer stuff around here is
Either way, if it is two doors it is not an issue as you just pull in at an angle. Done it a great many times. If it is 2 car, then you definitely have room for both sides even if it is a small two car.

Jkb242

Original poster
May 19, 2019
CLT
That shop it certainly waiting to spread the lube on you. Thats about 100-150 in parts... So 1500 in labor? Its not a 15 hour job (@100 an hour).

If you lived close, I would offer my garage and tools. I have the same type of garage, and have plenty of access to both sides. Your house must have been built sometime after 1995 (thats about the time garages started getting smaller).
Funny, I agree, lubing before the screwing....
You are very kind, I wish using your garage and guidance was a possibility. I’m in NC, maybe I better check my profile was in CA possibly when I joined this forum originally. I think you are correct about the build date of the house, could be around 95. I feel pretty intimidated about taking on a project of this magnitude mainly because I have never done any heavy lifting repairs like this. I’m 73 feel pretty much normal but without a little guidance not sure this is one I should tackle alone. Next step is to get another quote. Thanks so very much for your input, maybe there is a possibility to rethink this as a DIY.

Reactions: Matt

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I understand your situation as I have a couple people about your age that i do the repairs on their vehicles.

You might try looking for a local shop and getting another quote. Additionally I know many people like myself do work on the side. Might check online or check with local service stations or similar for someone that could help you out. Then just take it to a shop for an alignment after they swap parts.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
We have a 79 year old driver that has as much spunk as I do (at half his age nearly).. So I hear ya.

Just tackle it one side at a time. take it slow. Then when it get the one side done, turn the car around, and start on the other.

The ball joints are the biggie items for me. They do require a lot of muscle, and the knowledge of where the rolled metal is on the lower control arm to punch out the OEM ball joints. And the press is also very cumbersome. You could save some time, and just buy lower control arms with the ball joints already pressed in (its what I am doing).

If you buy the parts, and add a few to your list (struts, and any other items that might be found during disassembly).

Or do as @HARDTRAILZ suggests. Or a mobile Mechanic. Both of which I am not against if they are qualified. Or see if a forum member lives near you, that needs some extra dough in their life.

Jkb242

Original poster
May 19, 2019
CLT
Thanks my feeling too at this point wish there was a group on GMT that provided members a list of closet servicing members, just in case there were some close 75 miles

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
They kind of do...
GMTNation Regional forum

But whether or not you could find someone in your neck of the woods would be a crapshoot. If you lived closed to Avoca, PA I know a guy. But I imagine thats quite a ways from you.

2001ZR2

Jul 16, 2019
Kansas
I have rebuilt two front ends in this platform in the last 2 years and will do my son's again after a wreck. It is physically taxing to do in a day but over a week not too bad. I hope my son's can help me when I am in my 70's and need to do this.

My guess is that they are doing everything ball joints, control arm bushings, tie rods and sway bars.

that would be about right for that amount of work.

I am in KC so helping out in Carolina is out for me.

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
Im interested in hearing more about the $240 Cat and how it relates to you having to replace it again ...which by my count is 3 in 160K miles. My 6 cyl has 279K on the originals

Jkb242

Original poster
May 19, 2019
CLT
I have rebuilt two front ends in this platform in the last 2 years and will do my son's again after a wreck. It is physically taxing to do in a day but over a week not too bad. I hope my son's can help me when I am in my 70's and need to do this.

My guess is that they are doing everything ball joints, control arm bushings, tie rods and sway bars.

that would be about right for that amount of work.

I am in KC so helping out in Carolina is out for me.
Yea, KC, too bad for me, bush thanks for the offer I’d do it in a heartbeat If I lived on the Kansas side!

Go Chief’s the divisional playoffs and the Super Bowl were among the best games I have ever watch! Congrats to the Chief’s for a much deserved WIN!!
Im interested in hearing more about the $240 Cat and how it relates to you having to replace it again ...which by my count is 3 in 160K miles. My 6 cyl has 279K on the originals

Great question. I purchased it used with ~135k miles and was provided the Carfax. From that I learned about the Cat replacemen, from the maintenance history and apparently both of them were replaced ~120k miles. About a month ago I began seeing P430 on the scanner but haven’t been able to find a shop willing to simply swap the bank 2 sensor 2 just to see if the code and the wildly fluctuating sensor dat would be corrected. Then I would know for certain about the CAT. I just found a guy that would do this but the sensor had the wrong connector on it so the test wasn’t possible. Hence the caution I included in my post regarding Amazon‘s “guaranteed to fit” search. Waiting for the replacement sensor to perform the test hopefully this week. It’s the only way I know to determine if the CAT is bad. What’s the cause, I don’t know. The CATS in there now are aftermarket CATO cats. I think that’s the name.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online