NEED HELP Front End Sqeal

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
So, Wednesday driving through town I heard this rotten squeak every time I hit a small bump or divit in the road. It went away over 25mph and this morning it went away completely and I drove about 150 miles trouble free. I went out to grab a soda and a PowerBall, and the front end started to creak just pulling back into my drive (which is a sloped hill). I applied the brake, and when doing that the squeak came back every time I changed brake pressure or put the truck in park and let it lurch forward. I went for a short test drive, and it seems to dissipate after 25mph but it does squeak loud enough to be annoyed with the window down in neighborhood traffic, and when I pulled into my driveway, interestingly NO SQUEAK! It's really, really weird. There's no wheel wobble either and it tracks straight and true at 80mph.

Recent New Parts:
December 2016- Upper and Lower Control Arms
January 2017- Lower Ball Joint-Passenger Side
March 2017- Front Struts with Springs (Used Low Mile Units)
Last Weekend- Endlinks.

Lastly, the truck is a touch off camber in the front after the shock install. I will not be able to have it aligned until a week from Tuesday, I can't assume this really has to do with it though. Also, I couldn't get the rear sway bar bushing retainer to bolt to sit properly so it's only halfway installed until I have the time to drill and re-tap it.

See the attached video, taken before the first drive tonight

Last edited:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Make sure all the joints are greased well. My tie rod end started squeaking something horrible soon after install, realized it hadn't gotten greased up yet :duh:

Reactions: Mooseman and Capote

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
When you replaced the A-arms, you did tighten the bolts with the wheels mounted and on the ground?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Tried doing a bounce test with another person? Check the exhaust too.

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
Exhaust? On the driver's side?
No way. It's in the suspension/steering. The noise is on the driver's side and in the wheel somewhere.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Maybe just sounds like it's on driver side but you're the best judge. Maybe just get under there and start banging on stuff.

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
I crawled under the truck Thursday to find one of the Dorman ball joints with a completely torn boot. New one went in today, and I cleaned out the brake pad center spilt really well it was full of crap. Put a new grease fitting on the passenger outer tie rod that was replaced last year.

Going for an allignment tomorrow morning to see how it fairs. Passenger side outer TRE might need to be replaced, has a touch of play.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Well why not replace the TRE becore the alignment? It will be wasted when you'll have to replace it sooner rather than later and get another alignment.

Reactions: Tiggerr

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
Well, the squeak was certainly caused by that ball joint.

It wasn't bad. The entire front end is tight. I had it aligned Tuesday. They told me it was pretty out of whack.
Got on the highway, shimmies more than it did before it was properly aligned. No noise. Just epic bumpsteer and a terrible wheel wobble.
The wheel wobble is weird, it only happens sometimes. It's very present from 50-80mph, but minimal around town. On the interstate it seems to jump all over the place I'm curious if my low-mile used struts are junk, aside from that the entire front end is completely tight. The wheel bearing on the passenger side seems to make a tiny bit of noise, but it is tight. I asked the guys at the tire shop to be incredibly cautious with the steering rack, and they told me the bushings looked good and it was tight.

I'm stumped and I'm sick of this truck.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online