Front end noise

no1uno

Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
Hello all, was just referred over here from the other site. I have a 2006 trailblazer 4x4 6 cyl. Having a funny noise in the front end, when I back up from a dead stop or turn the wheels to the right very sharp , I'm getting a what sounds like rocks in a tin can sound. Turn to the left its quiet. Looked around under the truck dont see anything obvious. Any thoughts ?

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
Someone will chime in shortly with opinions but welcome to the Nation in the meantime.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
How many miles? I'd guess it's a bent or rusty brake rotor backing plate (dust shield) touching the rotor, but it might be a dying outer CV joint. Recommend getting it up on jack stands (if you're a DIYer) and taking the tires off to look deeper. Or your alignment is shot and the tires are rubbing at the back end of the wheel well, on the rocker panel mounting bolt or the wheel well liner.

no1uno

Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
63,000 miles, new tires . Pulled wheels found nothing obvious, brakes and rotors change at 58,000miles.

no1uno

Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
the roadie said:
How many miles? I'd guess it's a bent or rusty brake rotor backing plate (dust shield) touching the rotor, but it might be a dying outer CV joint. Recommend getting it up on jack stands (if you're a DIYer) and taking the tires off to look deeper. Or your alignment is shot and the tires are rubbing at the back end of the wheel well, on the rocker panel mounting bolt or the wheel well liner.

You were correct it was the front rotor backing plate. Tried cleaning them but noise is still there a little, just want to replace with new ones. Cant seem to find them after market. Does anyone know where to get a set.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
no1uno said:
You were correct it was the front rotor backing plate. Tried cleaning them but noise is still there a little, just want to replace with new ones. Cant seem to find them after market. Does anyone know where to get a set.

You don't have to replace them unless they are falling apart.This is a non-critical dust shield which has made many unscrupulous garages rich by leading people to believe that the noise was putting them in grave danger.
Simply bend them by hand or other means to get some clearance,any clearance is enough...Mike.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yep. My shields have been long gone and no ill effects.

mudgie

Apr 8, 2012
no1uno said:
Hello all, was just referred over here from the other site. I have a 2006 trailblazer 4x4 6 cyl. Having a funny noise in the front end, when I back up from a dead stop or turn the wheels to the right very sharp , I'm getting a what sounds like rocks in a tin can sound. Turn to the left its quiet. Looked around under the truck dont see anything obvious. Any thoughts ?

My '04 Envoy has an egged out stabilizer bar. I replace the link every now and then and tighten it as much as humanly possible but it eventually gets loose and starts making a rattle on bumps. Maybe this is what you're hearing. Look for evidence of movement where the link mounts to the bar. Mine happened on the right side.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online