Front end needs work

SBUBandit

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Hello folks. Old time member but I haven't posted in quite a long time.

My 06 is in need of some TLC at tax time, and I am starting to work on getting myself a part list. I know it needs struts, and it will be getting Bilstein HD to match the chocks I put on the rear last fall. I know it also needs all 4 ball joints, and at least a set of new bushings in the SMAXX links. And I'll probably grab a set of sway bar mount bushings. What other parts should I consider replacing up front while that is all torn apart? It has 120K and is mostly factory with the exception of wheel bearings and brakes I've replaced multiple times. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Check the A-arm bushings. If they're in need of replacing, consider replacing the complete A-arms.

Reactions: Matt and Redbeard

SBUBandit

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Mooseman, I was thinking the same. Looks like the lower control arms include the ball joints anyways, and I can get those for just over $100 each for Moog, and the Uppers are only $30 something apiece. Also, I noticed there seems to be a few different sizes of sway bar bushings, any idea how to tell which I need?

Here's my tentative plan so far:
Moog lower control arms with ball joints
Moog upper control arms
Moog upper ball joints
new bushings in SMAXX links
Bilstein HD struts

Is it worth replacing springs as well since the struts will have to be torn apart to install the Bilsteins?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just inspect the springs. I had one break on my EXT. If they're not sagging or broken, I'd keep them but that's me.

Foe the bar bushings, the bigger ones are for EXT but measure the bar to be sure.

JayArr

Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
Don't forget the bushing for the strut, it's part of the spindle assembly with the upper ball joint and isn't included with either of the control arms.

I just did all of this on my Envoy and I also replaced both outer tie rods while everything was apart.
I don't have the SMAXX links so I just used replacement Moogs.

Just as a comparison - I opted for all of the Moog Parts instead of the pre-made arms, it saved a couple of hundred I think. I spent a good 4-6 hours changing all of the bushings and ball joints but it wasn't difficult (I have air for an air chisel, Oxy-Acet and a hydraulic shop press). I guess It depends on what your time is worth, how much you enjoy a day in the garage and how important it is for your vehicle to run on Monday morning.

HTH

Reactions: Greg Christmas

Bill Reid

Dec 18, 2015
Chandler, AZ
Mooseman, I was thinking the same. Looks like the lower control arms include the ball joints anyways, and I can get those for just over $100 each for Moog, and the Uppers are only $30 something apiece. Also, I noticed there seems to be a few different sizes of sway bar bushings, any idea how to tell which I need?

Here's my tentative plan so far:
Moog lower control arms with ball joints
Moog upper control arms
Moog upper ball joints
new bushings in SMAXX links
Bilstein HD struts

Is it worth replacing springs as well since the struts will have to be torn apart to install the Bilsteins?

FYI, I just did the Beck & Arnley complete Lower A-Arms / brackets, Moog Upper A-Arms, Moog Upper Ball Joints, Moog front sway bar bushings, and Moog end links. I just recently did the struts and rear springs (Belltech lowered). Don't have it off the jack stands yet to take it over for alignment but everything fit well. I don't know what size differences, if any, there are for the TB's across the years / applications but you can always call the deal and ask for a GM part number... then Google that number to an aftermarket replacement. For me I just used TBSS Moog front bushings... and they fit for my 06 TB LT SWB 5.3 4X4 application.
When I installed the lower a-arms I tightened the bracket to arm bolts with the arms/brackets parallel to each other. Then when I take it in for alignment I'll ask the tech to loosen and re-tighten the bolts with the suspension loaded. Might not be a bad idea to do it with the uppers too...

Reactions: mrrsm

16vcabman

May 10, 2018
Ortonville, Mi
I am rebuilding my lower a-arms. I have pressed out and in new bushings in 20 minutes once parts are off car. I save a hundred dollars versus replacing whole arm. Sway bar bushings are only 5-8 bucks I bought all of them and used the ones I needed. Good thing cause my Denali Envoy has sport suspension and has bigger sway bars. The ball joints on mine got mevotech terrain tough on the whole front end joints and tie rods

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online

No members online now.