Front end alignment

kenzoil

Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
Just replaced most of the front end on my 08 base trailblazer. All 4 Upper, lower ball joints, both tie rods, struts, both upper control arms, drivers' side lower control arm. Brought it in for an alignment. Steers straight but what I'm finding is I have to overcompensate for each turn I have to make in the steering wheel. Before a slight left turn in the road required the wheel to be at the 10 o'clock position, now I have to turn it almost to 7 am or more for the same action. Same thing is happening with right hand turns. It never did this before, with the older parts. I was told it is now in full GM specs by the alignment shop, and it's fine, but it isn't. Any thoughts?

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
Could be the shop not doing the alignment properly. By chance did you go underneath and check to make sure everything is still tight? Did you use name brand parts?

When my lower control arms were done, I took it to Firestone (had a lifetime alignment) and after 4 trips I had to keep the steering wheel turned a quarter to the left anytime I would brake due to the truck wanting to veer to the right when stopping. Firestone never re-tightened one of the bolts on the driver side control arm so it had enough play that it was affecting the braking and steering and alls been right.

My dad Yukon is having this exact issue, but its due to the "great" Detroit Axle tie-rods being shot after two years and developing a half inch of play on the inner and outers.

Reactions: Mooseman

kenzoil

Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
Could be the shop not doing the alignment properly. By chance did you go underneath and check to make sure everything is still tight? Did you use name brand parts?

When my lower control arms were done, I took it to Firestone (had a lifetime alignment) and after 4 trips I had to keep the steering wheel turned a quarter to the left anytime I would brake due to the truck wanting to veer to the right when stopping. Firestone never re-tightened one of the bolts on the driver side control arm so it had enough play that it was affecting the braking and steering and alls been right.

My dad Yukon is having this exact issue, but its due to the "great" Detroit Axle tie-rods being shot after two years and developing a half inch of play on the inner and outers.
I used all GM original, Moog, or ACDelco. I torqued everything to spec, after I did the work. The alignment shop again went over everything to make sure it was tight. I have to go back again for them to recheck their work. They printed me out the exact specs that the truck was aligned to, but something is wrong.

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
Ahh okay. I figured it wouldn't hurt to double check. The only thing I can suggest, is making sure everything was tightened back up after the alignment. I know there have been posts on here in the past, of others having issues with their trucks alignment due to the shops not doing it properly.

kenzoil

Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
I'll double check that, but the over steering happened immediately once the truck was off the rack. Does anyone know if a particular setting would cause this, like toe setting, etc.?

Jul 24, 2012
It's probably the spacer you put in the lower control arm bracket. 😄

I tried to think through what would cause the situation, I feel like it would mostly be the tie rod end length maybe? And maybe that length changed due to where the LCA bracket is? And the LCA itself might be slightly different in length even though it should be the same?

I mean, at the end of the day, you replaced a pile of front end parts. It steers a little differently now, but is it WRONG? Different, yes, but wrong? Not by the alignment numbers. Maybe it's the rightest it has ever been. If it was all perfect before, you wouldn't have needed a new front end, right?

You might find another shop that has a free alignment check and see what they come up with.

Reactions: Mooseman

kenzoil

Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
I understand what you're saying and appreciated the advice. The "rebuild" of the front end came about by failing a MA state inspection for passenger side lower ball joint. The truck has only 88,000 miles on it. Once I started to replace the ball joint, I felt I should do the shocks, and look for things that had some wear. That's what led to the creep in replacing parts. If it wasn't for the inspection, I would not have known the ball joint was worn. I had no symptoms whatsoever, no thumping, steering issues, etc. Prior to the repairs the truck drove straight, and the amount of turn of the steering wheel was minimal to make turns, or back out of parking spaces. So that's why I am at a loss in explaining why I feel I have to oversteer now. Again, thanks for all the comments.

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Joe's Racing Caster & Camber Gauge Set:

...and for the "Toe-In or Toe-Out" Adjustments, choose from an assortment of the 5 Ton Plates to set the front wheels upon and adjust the Tie Rods with ease:

How and WHY to Adjust Toe...

Reactions: azswiss

kenzoil

Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
Does anyone have a link to the GM alignment specs for an 08 4.2L Base trailblazer? thanks

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
FRONTENDALIGNMENTSPECS.jpgFRONTENDALIGNMENTSPECS1.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online