Front drive shaft spinning when lifted off ground

holytornado84

Original poster
Feb 21, 2013
So I started hearing a noise coming from under the vehicle the past week or so. I finally raise the vehicle on all fours and put it drive in 2 wheel drive and get beside her to listen with a stethoscope to see where it’s going from and it is coming from the transfer case right where the front drive shaft goes into it. I also notice that the front driveshaft is spinning as well. The front tires remain motionless, I’m in 2 wheel drive anyways. It’s more of a heavy clicking noise every half second it seems. I checked the transfer case fluid level and it’s bone dry. Might have been dry for several thousand miles. Is it normal to get spin on the front drive shaft in 2 wheel?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Try removing the encoder motor. It could be struck in 4x4 or partially. With the front disconnect working correctly, you wouldn't get the usual crow hop.

Also, what is the maintenance history of the transfer case? Fluid should be changed at 50k miles.

Edit: Ok, so it was dry. Expect the worse and your TC is damaged.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Make sure you get some fluid in there before she locks up. The front driveshaft will spin, but likely not at the same speed as the rear drive shaft, just from general friction and fluid dynamics in the transfer case. I hope the internal carrier bearings, and output bearings arent roasted!

Reactions: mrrsm

holytornado84

Original poster
Feb 21, 2013
Try removing the encoder motor. It could be struck in 4x4 or partially. With the front disconnect working correctly, you wouldn't get the usual crow hop.

Also, what is the maintenance history of the transfer case? Fluid should be changed at 50k miles.

Thanks for the quick response Mooseman. I definitely did not do any upkeep on the transfer case. I didn’t know when I was supposed to change the fluid. I should have did a little digging to find out the specifics on what the maintenance routine for the truck needed to be. I have never had any problems out of it though. I recently pulled it along with the transmission a couple months back and had the transmission rebuilt. That’s when I finally checked the transfer case fluid level. I replaced the gasket and put it back on with the rebuilt tranny. I didn’t fill the transfer case up with the fluid I had bc I stripped the other plug that is used to fill it. I figured it was ok to run as long as I didn’t use 4x4. I drove it a good 1500 miles before the noise started and since then it has seemed to have gotten slightly louder. Today is when I finally got to jack it up and see where the noise is coming from. I’ll try and remove the encoder after I figure out where it’s located. I’ll see if that disengages it. Either way I need to have a nut welded on the fill plug so I can fill it. I hope the transfer case is not damaged now.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Even if you never use 4x4, you still need to replace the fluid as recommended as stuff is still spinning inside in 2wd. Hope yours isn't permanently damaged.

holytornado84

Original poster
Feb 21, 2013
If I end up having to remove the transfer case itself, do I need to drain the tranny fluid? I know there is a gasket in between the two. I just wasn’t sure it keeps tranny fluid from coming out or whether is was the transfer case fluid that would come out of this spot.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
If I end up having to remove the transfer case itself, do I need to drain the tranny fluid? I know there is a gasket in between the two. I just wasn’t sure it keeps tranny fluid from coming out or whether is was the transfer case fluid that would come out of this spot.

Nope, no need to drain the transmission.

Reactions: Mooseman

holytornado84

Original poster
Feb 21, 2013
Thanks for all the quick responses and helpful information from everyone. Lastly, if I do end up having a bad tc, should I get a used unit or does anyone recommend any type of rebuild service [through a professional service (or myself if possible)]?

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Getting a used one isn't a bad idea just got to have it looked over really well. I had to pull the TC from my brother-in-law's TBSS and get it rebuilt along with the transmission. It all came out on a Saturday and I put ot all back together the next Saturday. Then he booked it to Maryland from NY on that Monday.Still going strong after 2yrs.

IIRC it cost $800 to get the TC redone with some better components and the rush service.

holytornado84

Original poster
Feb 21, 2013

Mooseman, did u mean remove the encoder motor completely or just unplug the wire harness going to it?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Remove it completely, just in case that's what's jammed.

holytornado84

Original poster
Feb 21, 2013
Removed the encoder motor and the driveshaft is still spinning. So I tried applying my hand to it to slow it down and was able to bring it to a stop. The noise is still present so I’m assuming that the internals are worn and it needs rebuilding. The last time I pulled the transfer case I left the front drive shaft intact. If I send it off to be rebuilt, I’m sure I’ll need to remove it. Any idea on how it comes out?

Getting a used one isn't a bad idea just got to have it looked over really well. I had to pull the TC from my brother-in-law's TBSS and get it rebuilt along with the transmission. It all came out on a Saturday and I put ot all back together the next Saturday. Then he booked it to Maryland from NY on that Monday.Still going strong after 2yrs.

IIRC it cost $800 to get the TC redone with some better components and the rush service.
Thanks for the info xavierny25. Do u remember the website or where I can get ahold of the company that rebuilds them?

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
The last time I pulled the transfer case I left the front drive shaft intact. If I send it off to be rebuilt, I’m sure I’ll need to remove it. Any idea on how it comes out?
Should just pull right out.
Thanks for the info xavierny25. Do u remember the website or where I can get ahold of the company that rebuilds them?
Try asking the person who rebuilt your transmission. That's what my b-I-l did and they told him about a speed shop that would be able to do the work on the TC.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I would look for a used one. The SS' TC is harder to find since it's an AWD Torsen and rebuilding is almost the only option. The regular 4x4 TC are more plentiful in yards so you should be able to find something in good condition. Best way to tell would be to look at the fluid condition. Should be a nice blue.

Reactions: xavierny25

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online