Front differential toast

Spinner

Original poster
Aug 27, 2017
Alaska
my 05 Envoy XUV has a wiped out front diff. Will one from a 02 bravada work? And if not, does anyone know a good place to get another one? I live in Alaska, so shipping is at a premium.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It might not because there was a mounting bolt configuration change in the middle of production in 2002. And you also have to make sure of the gear ratio.

Front Diff Bolts.jpg

Car-part.com is a good place to look.

Spinner

Original poster
Aug 27, 2017
Alaska
Ok, thank you. I wasn't sure because the Envoy has the awd,4hi,4lo selector. I will check the carrier bolt patterns.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The differentials themselves are the same. The disconnect on the passenger side is different. The Bravada, Rainier, 9-7x, SS with their AWD systems have a "fake" disconnect that doesn't disconnect without an electrical actuator while the real 4x4 selectables are real with an actuator.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Just a thought. I've found the intermediate shaft teeth worn off on more than one of my trucks. If your front diff isn't working check that first. ~BOB

I just found this to be an issue on my brother-in-laws 08 tbss that i swap out a tranny and tc on (we actually had his rebuilt). The intermediate shaft on the disconnect side had stripped its spine along with the diconnect that was chewed up. I'm kinda glad it wasn't on the diff side cause that would of made thing worse for him. And besides you got alot more room to work with on the disconnect side.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman

Spinner

Original poster
Aug 27, 2017
Alaska
This dif is definitely toast. The pinion shaft moves verticals at least 2". I'm pretty sure the case is wiped out. I have access to a 02 bravada so if the case is compatible I can use that.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online