Front Differential seal

coolasice

Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
Ok Guys, i have a bit of a dilema... replaced my pinion seal a few years ago and it never fixed the leak on the front differential. I now believe it is a bad case sealant in the 2 diff halves. Has anyone had to reseal their cases? Wondering how much trouble it will be to do. Anyone believe it would be possible to do without removing the differential entirely from the truck? What kind of time am I looking at in regards to this?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's gonna have to come out. Those that have done the diff swap can say that it can be a b!itch of a job. I have found (and added to FAQ) this write-up:
How to remove front differential

coolasice

Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
It's gonna have to come out. Those that have done the diff swap can say that it can be a b!itch of a job. I have found (and added to FAQ) this write-up:
How to remove front differential
I've seen a few videos online about how to remove it some say you can take it out by just moving the engine over a few inches other say you have to pull it out the top. I know the first thing I got to do is get that darn disconnect off the passenger side. I don't think it's ever been removed.

How much does the differential weigh?

coolasice

Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
About what my ex-wife now weighs, better bring a hoist or a crane :crackup:
funny guy :blinkhuh: gonna be tackling this next month most likely... just need a few days off to get er done.... might have to register my motorcycle just to be sure i have some kind of transportation....

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Front diff is not heavy at all. Its under 40. Only thing I could find was all the pieces...

Front Differential, bearing support and shaft: 50lbs 11.5oz

Reactions: m.mcmillen

coolasice

Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
Front diff is not heavy at all. Its under 40. Only thing I could find was all the pieces...

Front Differential, bearing support and shaft: 50lbs 11.5oz
Sweet,. I know it was aluminum so couldn't be too bad. I almost ran it dry this year, so Def need to fix it.

coolasice

Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
Ok,. New dilemma... Busted the disconnect removing it, got all the pieces out and got the shaft out of the pan... Now I can't get the damned diff to separate from the pan... All 4 bolts are out, axle is out,. But the damn thing is seized to the pan... Any tips and pointer for how to proceed from here?

coolasice

Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
EUREKA! IT FINALLY CAME OUT! what a mess.... could only find a very trace amount of original sealant on the case halves. Right now it's setting with the rtv seal, going to be torquing in 20 mins... then tomorrow it'll be new seals in the dif and a new yoke. supposed to rain so not very good weather to reinstall....

Reactions: Matt

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Sucks about the broken disconnect. Been there done that. Glad you got the diff out though, that would have been an even bigger and more expensive pain to deal with if something there broke.

coolasice

Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
Sucks about the broken disconnect. Been there done that. Glad you got the diff out though, that would have been an even bigger and more expensive pain to deal with if something there broke.
Oh yeah,. I was pretty annoyed at how hard it was to get out... What helped the most... A hatchet... I couldn't get my chisels to wedge in between the bolt holes because it was so stuck,. Used my hatchet and a sledge an it worked like a champ.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Make sure you clean up the holes in the pan and apply a liberal amount of anti-seize for the next time.

coolasice

Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
Making progress... Diff is back in with all new seals and yoke.... Just have the rad and fan assembly to put back in to the engine bay and that end is done. Suspension still needs to be reassembled but the stupid company I ordered my disconnect from said they would ship it USPS didn't... It went ups ground instead.... So I'll get it 3 days later (Monday instead of Friday) then I should.

On a side note.... I haven't been able to locate the damned coolant sensor near the firewall... Any clues as to where I should be looking from?

mntegra01

Mar 26, 2018
Virginia
Untitled.png

coolasice

Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
finally got the ECT sensor swapped... what a bitch that was. If the secondary air tubes weren't there it would have been much easier. Most of the truck is back together. Just waiting on the disconnect to arrive and i'll be all finished... quite a pain in the ass.

coolasice

Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
Ok, finally all back together... But I have an extra piece... See pic not sure where it goes...

Attachments

• IMG_20180619_093611.jpg
    IMG_20180619_093611.jpg
    399.8 KB · Views: 12

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Ah, mystery spare parts. Don't recognize it.

coolasice

Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
I'm wondering if it even goes to the truck... It's too clean,. Not oily or rusted...

mntegra01

Mar 26, 2018
Virginia
Only place I recall seeing something like that is around the battery hold down on a GM, not necessarily a Trailblazer, Envoy, Rainier

coolasice

Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
Quick update... Now been almost 1 year since I've sealed the cases and I have not leaked a single drop of oil. For that roughly $400 it cost me and all my time it's paid off. On the downside I'm starting to see rust near the tailgate handle and on my rear doors.

Reactions: Beacon

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online