Front differential fun inside

nwautosol

Original poster
Apr 6, 2014
Hello, I'm new to the site but recently acquired an Envoy and it has some issues. I threw it up on the lift and removed the skid plate (plastic thing bolted to it) and found about 12 roller bearings that didn't belong there. I then look up and there is a nice inch by two inch hole in the bottom of the diff with a few rusty bearings stuck about half way out. So I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the diff might need some work.

I've looked into a few threads that talked about removing and/or replacing and that got me thinking about converting to just rwd for the summer and then actually fix it before winter hits.

I looked into a few other threads and even a few random videos I found on Youtube and saw a few people have done it. I was wanting to ask anyone that has done it if they had any issues afterwards?

I haven't done any work on it yet. I don't even know what the hubs look like but I'm mainly wondering if there are any issues with removing the fron axle nuts and axles, the drive shaft and just leaving it in 2wd for the time being.

Or if I can find a reasonably priced front diff for sale somewhere I might just replace it all at once. It doesn't seem like it'd take more than 3 hours or so. But I have no idea what the quote time. Every way I normally quote out labor doesn't have it listed.

I'm going to start pulling it apart tomorrow and see what I can find and if it looks ok I'll give it a try with 2wd but if I run into any issues I may just park it until I can find a new diff.

And now that I'm registered I'm going to go and see if I can find anything else.

Thanks!

smt 59

Welcome to the nation

You might want to think about putting some information in about your truck and location as this will help members help you.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
There are some front diffs for sale here and/or offroadtb.com. All depends on if they match your gear ratio.

You can remove CV shafts and run bare hubs, no problem unless they're already aftermarket ones from Michigan Bearing. I think that's the only vendor who makes a weaker unit for 4WD use that depends on the CV shaft to hold the bearings together. All other units are safe in 2WD mode, and you can tell because the part numbers are the same if you have a 2WD or 4WD truck.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
The_Roadie said:
There are some front diffs for sale here and/or offroadtb.com. All depends on if they match your gear ratio.

You can remove CV shafts and run bare hubs, no problem unless they're already aftermarket ones from Michigan Bearing. I think that's the only vendor who makes a weaker unit for 4WD use that depends on the CV shaft to hold the bearings together. All other units are safe in 2WD mode, and you can tell because the part numbers are the same if you have a 2WD or 4WD truck.

I thought you had to have those stupid stubs or whatever for the backside. I remember that coming up somewhere else, once. But I'd trust what The Roadie says regarding the front drivetrain over random speculation any day :thumbsup: has my Suckupmancy skill leveled up yet? :rotfl:

And nwautosol - I'm glad to see you made it over! I guess my alter ego Gnat's clues have been working well enough :biggrin:

nwautosol

Original poster
Apr 6, 2014
The_Roadie said:
2wd SS Trucks are the only ones to come with stubs from the factory, but they pull a bunch more skid pan G's.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm glad I came over here from that other forum, thanks illogical. I'm used to waiting a week for one reply. It seems odd to have a solution in just a few days on a forum now a days.

I went ahead and pulled the front axles and shaft and it seemed fine except the front wheel bearings seemed to be bad. So I decided to just fix the thing instead of messing with it. I replaced the differential, front axles, wheel bearings on both aides and even the oil pan because it looked pretty bad in the axle "valley" for lack of a better word. Everything is working like a champ now.

Thanks a lot!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
That musta cost ya?

You get quick answers wherever the support volunteer community hangs out. That used to be trailvoy - now it's here. New ownership back there just wants your eyeballs to shove ads at. They don't care about owners who need help. That's not their mission. Helping folks *is* our mission.

That said, sorry you had to go do all that. Oil pan, too?!?!?! Never heard of that.

nwautosol

Original poster
Apr 6, 2014
The_Roadie said:
That musta cost ya?

You get quick answers wherever the support volunteer community hangs out. That used to be trailvoy - now it's here. New ownership back there just wants your eyeballs to shove ads at. They don't care about owners who need help. That's not their mission. Helping folks *is* our mission.

That said, sorry you had to go do all that. Oil pan, too?!?!?! Never heard of that.

The parts total was just over $500. The axle/half shaft going through the oil pan was just flopping around for who knows how long. There were deed grooves on either side so I'm guessing it was about the same in between. I also got it for free from a junker so it made even more sense. But considering what I paid for it $500 isn't much compared to what it is now. Unfortunately it's not winter any more though lol.

I thought that's what they were doing on that other site. I'm liking this one a whole lot more.

Thanks again.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online